[SOLVED] Advise: Private PHP forum. Any suggestions?

webmaster1

Hi All,

I'm looking for a quick solution that will allow me to host a forum / message board from my own site.

I want the forum to be private i.e. not publically accessable or viewable. I also want to determine the username and passwords i.e. not allow others to create accounts for themselves.

Is this possible and if so what suggestions can you offer?

This is really easy. Just host the forum and instead of the main file being say index.php, make it to an unknown file like myindex.php and only tell people that you want going there what the link is...

Most boards also have features to turn off auto-register so you turn it off and only register members manually yourself.

This is really easy. Just host the forum and instead of the main file being say index.php, make it to an unknown file like myindex.php and only tell people that you want going there what the link is...

Not really good idea. Forum software might rely on this file being named index.php, and it's just security by obscurity.

Most boards also have features to turn off auto-register so you turn it off and only register members manually yourself.

And this is a good advice. SMF script, as used here on phpFreaks can be (easily) configured to be only visible to logged in members, and to require all registrations to be approved by admin. Most other forum scripts out there provide similar features I suppose.

security by obscurity.

Hey, I never said it was a GOOD idea....LOL...

BTW, I am new to these boards, how the heck do you respond to someone while "quoting" them but being able to access the full REPLY options?

Everytime I click on QUOTE, it takes me to a QUICK REPLY and l lose the extra options...

What gives?

Thanks!

BTW, I am new to these boards, how the heck do you respond to someone while "quoting" them but being able to access the full REPLY options?

You just reply, and then selct post to quote from the list below edit window (there's small 'Insert Quote' hyperlink on the top-right corner of each)

security by obscurity.

Hey, I never said it was a GOOD idea....LOL...

Everytime I click on QUOTE, it takes me to a QUICK REPLY and l lose the extra options...

What gives?

Thanks!

Quote -> Preview, or as Mchl said

--

@OP:

Another option, not as great as relying on the forum to hide itself, but using .htaccess.

You just reply, and then selct post to quote from the list below edit window (there's small 'Insert Quote' hyperlink on the top-right corner of each)

Quote -> Preview, or as Mchl said

--

@OP:

Another option, not as great as relying on the forum to hide itself, but using .htaccess.

ahhh got it now, thanks guys...I'm used to Invision boards.... ;D ;D

Thanks all for the great response. If SMF is good enough for the most formidable PHP community online then its certainly good enough for me. I can't believe its free.

Glad to hear that it should support the privacy by login and prevent auto register as required.

Thanks so much!  :-*

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.