How much do I charge?

ejaboneta

I've been asked to do some basic php/mysql for a new business. I'm not a professional(which I've informed the client of) and he said he doesn't have a great budget.

He wants a basic database of his products displayed in different categories on the site. No shopping cart, login, etc. Just the database and a "request a quote" form. He said there will be thousands of products.

How much should I ask for? I know there's no real answer but get me in the right direction.

Is he going to be putting the products into the database, or are you going to have to do that?  Does he expect you to make some kind of admincp so he can add/move/edit/delete categories/products?  Does he want the customer product display page to be some simple dump or are you expected to paginate it? Keep track of products checkboxed to be passed and sent with the request a quote form?  Does he want the request a quote form to be a simple form that sends him an email or also database driven?  Does he expect you to do the site design or just the coding and someone else will be doing the design?  Does he expect you to host the site? Maintain it?  Finally, how much do you think your worth, an hour? 

Doesn't really matter though.  In my experience, when someone says keywords and phrases like "doesn't have a great budget," that usually means they can't afford or don't want to pay reasonable rates.

His low budget is the reason he contacted me. I asked about deadlines and he said he's pretty flexible and he understands it might take me a little longer if I don't know how to do something. But from what he's told me, it seems pretty simple. I told him I'd call him tomorrow so I could think about it. I'm trying to find out what a "reasonable rate" is.

He said he only wants a link to the request a quote form. He said he'd pay for the host and domain. If he wants me to maintain the site, which is a possibility, I'd think about rates for that later.

He said he wanted just the php/mysql. If he wants me to do some design, I can add that but I'm looking for a rate for just the coding and the database setup.

A. How long will it take to do the job?

B. How hard is the job for you?

C. How much money is your time worth?

D. How badly does he want this?

In my opinion, off of what you say you need, if I were to do this, I would like to know if:

A. Do you insert the products?

- Yes: Does he have them in a reasonable list? If so, you can turn it into an sql query in a few minutes using macros

B. How does the "Request A Quote" form work? Does it send an email? or save the form info in the db, or does it do both?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.