[SOLVED] set a session when you use header redirect?

aebstract

err... so I thought this was somehow affecting the header() instead of me having to do header_()... This defeats the whole purpose of doing this. If I was to do that, I might as well just set a session there too. It was to save me from going through and finding every spot that header was needing to be used.

err... so I thought this was somehow affecting the header() instead of me having to do header_()... This defeats the whole purpose of doing this. If I was to do that, I might as well just set a session there too. It was to save me from going through and finding every spot that header was needing to be used.

Not possible, as far as I know. Since PHP does not except overriding of functions. The other option, each page you set the "last_page" session before you call the header function. Either way you have to do some leg work.

You can check $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']. But that is dependent on a user. If they choose to shut that off, it will not send it etc. Very un-reliable.

If you really want to. At the top of each page, you can have 2 session variable settings.

'this_page'  and  'last_page'  if last_page is not set then set it to this_page. Then on page load, if last_page is set, you can store that somewhere for the page you are on in a variable then you set last_page to be this_page and this_page to be the page you are on.

Then in a regular variable you hold $lastpage which will contain the real last page for use on that page only.

A little crazy on the logic, but it would/should work.

Okay I'm basically trying what you have described premiso, which was the basic idea I had when I was trying to think of a new way to approach it. I have this for the top of my index page:

<?php
session_start();
header("Cache-control: private");

$lastpage = $_SESSION['last_page'];
$_SESSION['last_page'] = $_SESSION['this_page'];
if (isset($_GET['page'])){
$_SESSION['this_page'] = "$_SERVER[php_SELF]?page=$_GET

";
} else {
$_SESSION['this_page'] = $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];
}

Trying to simply echo the lastpage variable when I'm on my login page. Here is what happens:

I'm on home page.

Go to contact page.

Go to login page.

---> displays: /performance/index.php?page=login

f5-> displays: /performance/index.php?page=contact

f5-> displays: /performance/index.php?page=login

How come I have to refresh to see "contact" as the previous page, when it was in fact the previous page. It has like a "lag" on it, do you see what is causing this?

<?php
session_start();
header("Cache-control: private");

$lastpage = isset($_SESSION['last_page'])?$_SESSION['last_page']:'';
$_SESSION['last_page'] = $_SESSION['this_page'];

if (isset($_GET['page'])){
$_SESSION['this_page'] = "{$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']}?page={$_GET['page']}";
} else {
$_SESSION['this_page'] = $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];
}

echo "The last page you were on was: {$lastpage} <br /> The current page is: {$_SESSION['this_page']} <Br /> The new last page is {$_SESSION['last_page']}<br />";
echo "<a href=test.php?page=1>Page 1</a> | <a href=test.php?page=2>Page 2</a> | <a href=test.php?page=3>Page 3</a>";

die();
?>

I do not know what you are doing as you only show part of the code. Given the above code, everything works fine on my end, and as expected.

Output:

The last page you were on was: /test.php?page=3
The current page is: /test.php?page=3
The new last page is /test.php?page=2
Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3

This was going from the "Page 3" link to the "Page 2"

It was a messup on my part.

The last page you were on was: /test.php?page=3
The current page is: /test.php?page=3
The new last page is /test.php?page=1
Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3

That is going from Page 1 to Page 3.

It works as expected, I just mixed up the words. Give it a try and see, create a simple test.php and paste that code in it, and it should work like expected.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.