Web Server

The Little Guy

Another question.

When Apache requests a PHP page, how does it say "Run the PHP parser on this file"? The way I assumed that it does it, is it runs the PHP command, in a shell or command line environment, such as an execute function or something of that nature.

Would this be a fair assumption or not? To me, I feel that it may be extra work for it, but maybe I am wrong.

Any ideas?

TLG, the way you just described it is essentially running PHP in CGI mode.

When it's loaded as an extension, it has a certain API that Apache uses to tell it "hey, do something with this file."

Modules are usually always loaded, so they are usually a bit faster than initiating an executable.

You want to make your web server compatible with the PHP module for Apache?

No, I would like to make my server compatible with PHP, so I can run php with my web server.

Its the same thing. Good luck.

You want to make your web server compatible with the PHP module for Apache?

No, I would like to make my server compatible with PHP, so I can run php with my web server.

So.. If Apache is forwarding the PHP to the parser/interpreter, how would it do that, and how would It get the information back?

In CGI mode, mod_cgi handles it.  In extension mode, the PHP Apache extension is coded around the Apache module API.

I'm not quite sure how PHP in CGI mode works.

I know that CGI applications take in POST data on stdin and other stuff is in environmental variables, but I don't know if PHP follows the CGI specs.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.