5 replies to this topic

#1 ChaosXero

ChaosXero
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:23 PM

I'm currently building an online text game in PHP and need to create an inventory system.  My thought was that there would be a main inventory database and that players would have 1 inventory field w/ items seperated by a '-' so that later I could explode it and put it into an array and get the items from the database.  I dont know if this is the best idea, so if you have suggestions cool.  My real question however is this: If I wanted to see how many of a certain item were in peoples inventory, how would the SQL for that look? Or would it work? 
Example: I need to see item #44543 so I 'SELECT * FROM users WHERE inventory LIKE '#44543' or would that return false positives?

Any suggestions appreciated.

#2 pixy

pixy
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:27 PM

Okay, firstly DONT seperate items by - marks. If you were even going to try to store stuff in a database like that, use serialize() (it stores arrays in text format, which you can unserialize() later)--but that's not a good idea either...far too messy IMO.

Actually, I'm going to be working on an inventory system too, for my own RPG (it's based on Harry Potter) so if you want I could definately help you out. I'm going to be making shops and a bank and such...

This is a .44 Caliber Loveletter straight through my heart.

Tabulas + Threadless + Hire Me!

#3 kalivos

kalivos
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 88 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:29 PM

depending on how advanced you would like to make it, you could also make a table like: user, item_id, duribility, creator ...etc This will allow you to make an item "break" or remember where the user got it, and allows for a query to find how many items are in the db that correspond to that user. Just an idea, as it does involve a more complex scheme.

-Kalivos
Make a donation to phpfreaks. They need your help![br][br]

#4 ChaosXero

ChaosXero
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:31 PM

Wouldn't that evetually create a massive database though?
For example: 1,000 users w/ 1,000 items = 1million rows.  OUCH that hurts.

#5 redarrow

redarrow
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 7,308 posts
  • Locationlondon

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:32 PM

SELECT SUM(inventory) FROM users where id='$id'
Wish i new all about php DAM i will have to learn
((EMAIL CODE THAT WORKS))
http://simpleforum.ath.cx/mail2.inc
((PAYPAL INTEGRATION THAT WORKS))
http://simpleforum.a...aypal1_info.inc

#6 pixy

pixy
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:45 PM

Wouldn't that evetually create a massive database though?
For example: 1,000 users w/ 1,000 items = 1million rows.  OUCH that hurts.

Would you SERIOUSLY let your users each keep 1,000 items? There HAS to be a limit somewhere.

What I would do is create and items table with all the items information: rarity, value, store, descpription, imagelink, etc. and then a table called inventory with userid as one column and item ID in another. So yea, you'd have a lot but you wouldn't have to put in NEARLY as much information.

This is a .44 Caliber Loveletter straight through my heart.

Tabulas + Threadless + Hire Me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users