having trouble loading ubuntu

hosinfefer

dled the 8.1 server i think it is. Burnt to dvd and can boot into it fine. I have 3 V.rap and 2 in raid 0 for vista 64bit. I want to load the linus on the 3rd v.rap drive and i have a 1tb drive for stoage. I have only been able to load it on the 1tb (think its a drive problem with my enw rap), anyways once its on my 1tb drive it does not seem to want to boot from it. I have unplugged all my data cables to everything but the 1tb drive and it still wont boot. How do i get it to boot...i dont have to boot from the dvd and then run off the hard drive do I?

Thanks for the help

Have you installed a bootloader such as GRUB or LILO? Or has your Ubuntu install been added to your Windows bootloader? You may need to press a key during boot and select it from a menu.

It's an odd decision to dual boot Vista and Ubuntu Server Edition, are you aware that the server edition has no GUI?

It says somethign along the lines of no boot file or soemthig like that. Dual boot would be nice. I am new to linux so I am not sure what grub or lilo is. I am running server because I want to get good with it because of work. I am looking to get a project approved using linux and vmware. I am turning my home box into a test computer. Its 8gb of 1150mhz ram with 2tb of space. I am hoping it will be enough to run linux and vmware with 3 or 4 vm computers.  So I need to install a bootloader such as grub or lio (is one better then the other). I want to install linux on the 300gb raptor. I thought i could just boot from the cd and load it. how do i load a bootloader?

Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.