• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jayR

jayR
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:35 PM

Hi, I'm currently setting up a database for my company's intranet page and I began wondering about how large the hard drive should be.  After looking around for a while I was unable to find the amount of space my database was taking up on the server's hard drive.  Is there a way to see how much space my current database is taking up?  And how much space do database's take up?  Is a gig enough space for a database that could have over 1,000,000 records, or should I plan on more? 

#2 cmgmyr

cmgmyr
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:44 PM

If you have phpMyAdmin it gives you a breakdown of each table and how much space is taken up and a total on the bottom for everything combined.

The amount of space depends on what you are holding in the database. What kind of information are you holding? But I think 1 gig should be enough.

-Chris

#3 jayR

jayR
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:49 PM

Mostly information on people, ip addresses, phone numbers, descriptions, department info.  All text or ints

#4 cmgmyr

cmgmyr
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:51 PM

I think that you should be fine with 1 gig

#5 fenway

fenway
  • Staff Alumni
  • MySQL Si-Fu / PHP Resident Alien
  • 16,199 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:56 PM

Assuming you have access to the box itself, you can simply check the total size of each table (data + index).  Of course, if you have variable width columns, you need to consider them as well.
Seriously... if people don't start reading this before posting, I'm going to consider not answering at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users