[SOLVED] simple string parsing

marklarah

So I have the HTML for a remote webpage stored in a variable (gotten through cURL). It's htmlentities'd, so I have the text for it. I need to get a specific link from this webpage. I think there are other links, but there is one in a specific format.

The format is

<a href="http://linkhere" style="font-size:15px;">

I have read the things online how to parse it, but I can't seem to find a specific one which will do this.  How would I go about doing it?

Thanks...Mark.

Then give me the exact string you are trying to get out, or modify it to fit your needs. The above should give you a good idea how to modify it.

If it is not echoing anything, it is not finding any matches. Simple as that.

Ok, sort of half-fixed it. Turns out the entities does matter, i'm using

preg_match('~<a href="(.+?)" style="font-size:15px;">~si', $result, $matches);

Now, I get a lot of stuff, but the last thing is the link. the first the characters of what's on the page is

?">
- I presume this is the preg_match. If this needs editing then, then what comes before the link is
id="link">
- there is a space between the end of that div and the link/

but I'm still getting lots of stuff before the link.

Hmm, that gives me a ton of information. Post your current code, and the "stuff" before the link.

Given that you take the original code I posted above it works fine right? So the issue lies with how the data is stored in the string. Do a print_r on the $matches variable, view the source and paste that array here as well.

Just to make sure you are echoing $matches[1] and not $matches[0].

print_r returns exactly the same. The problem is, there are a few links on the page, so it goes from the first link with <a href="..... to our link we're trying to single out, because it is unique, with the style.

Can we edit the preg_match to identify a line of text before the link?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.