Is it possible to combine two sql queries?

nishmgopal

Hi

They are linked on Person_ID.

If you do a normal JOIN then you get a combined record for rows that match up on BOTH tables on the join conditions. There are OUTER JOIN commands if you want a join where records may not be on one table, but not sure that is what you want here. If it is it makes my brain hurt ;D .

For example a simple JOIN between Person_Skill and Person_ID on the Person_ID field would give:-

1 1 Java 5 Dave

2 1 C 4 Dave

3 2 Java 4 Nish

4 2 C# 5 Nish

5 1 Problem_Solving 4 Dave

6 1 Communications 4 Dave

7 1 Team_Work 4 Dave

8 2 Problem_Solving 3 Nish

9 2 Communication 3 Nish

10 2 Problem_Solving 2 Nish

As you can see there is no row for Nish with C.

I cannot see a simple way to combine them to give you a row for a skill (eg, C)  for a person who is not on the Person_Skill table. Normally you would do it with a seperate table listing the skills and then joining the people table and the skills tables together with something like the Person_Skill table.

You could possibly do it using by having a select distinct  of the skills as a table as an extra table and using an OUTER JOIN, but it would be a bodge.

Sorry

All the best

Keith

Hi

Unfortunatly that doesn't work. You have joined 2 tables that do not share any key fields, and the table that could do with an OUTER JOIN is not set up for it (ie, I think he wants get a list of all the people and all the possible skills, yet people and skills are both on the same table).

All the best

Keith

Guys thank you for your help...I am now using left join and it all seems to be working fine...but I have ran into another problem...

If i wanted to sum the scores and sum the weights...how can i code that in an sql statement?  I have just about managed to work out the difference...

Is this even possible?

If you want to SUM fields together I think you'll need to make another query although you could try this...

SELECT p.*,j.*,sum(p.Weight) AS sumweight,SUM(p.Score) AS sumscore FROM Person_ID AS p LEFT JOIN Job_ID AS j ON p.Person_ID=j.Person_ID WHERE p.Person_Name='Nish'

That's the basic idea - not sure if it'll work but I can't see why not.

I tried this:

SELECT
    Person_ID.Person_Name, Person_Skill.Skill_name, Person_Skill.Score, ID_Table.Weight, (Person_Skill.Score-ID_Table.Weight) AS total,sum(ID_Table.Weight) AS sumweight,SUM(Person_Skill.Score) AS sumscore, Job_ID.Job_Name, ID_Table.Skill_Name
FROM
    Job_ID
    JOIN ID_Table
       USING (Job_ID)
    JOIN Person_Skill
        USING (Skill_Name)
    JOIN Person_ID
        USING (Person_ID)
WHERE Person_Skill.Skill_Name='Nish'
ORDER BY
    total
DESC

And I got a table with NULL across all the columns....Im guessing my sql statement isnt up to scratch...is there a more effecient way of doing this?

I did ask and I was told this...

They are linked on Person_ID.

All you need to do is change p.id=j.id to p.Person_ID=j.Person_ID

Unfortunatly not. Take a look at the word document earlier for the structure. Job_Id and Person_Id do not share any columns. Job_Id links to ID_Table, which links to Person_Skill which links to Person_ID.

The trouble is that the skills table also contains the people with that skill. I would agree that an outer join is what is required, but it is not that trivial. What it could do with is the skills pulling off into a seperate table from either the job skills requirements or the peoples skills.

This would give you a list of all the people, and all the skills with a populated id field if that person has that skill:-

SELECT Person_Name, b.Skill_name, c.id
FROM test_Person_ID a 
JOIN (select distinct skill_name from test_person_skill) b 
LEFT OUTER JOIN test_person_skill c 
ON a.Person_Id = c.person_Id AND b.skill_name = c.skill_name

nishmgopal - not sure what you are trying to do with SUM there. You haven't specified which columns to group the data by for the SUM to work on.

All the best

Keith

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.