[SOLVED] Include and require question.

zavin

I read some place that it is a bad idea to store a lot of information in an included or required page because it could slow down the loading of the page. For example if I had 100 custom error messages all written in errors.php and for every page the needed some of these error messages I would include errors.php. Now are all 100 error messages going to load into memory every time the page is included or an error is called from the page?

Yes, it will load that page into memory on the server and look through it.  100 error messages isn't something I'd worry about, however. 

However, if these 100 messages can be categorized and only loaded in specific places, then it probably wouldn't hurt to do it.  Loading that up on a page that will have no errors is just inefficient.  Then again, I've seen worse coding.

No, the content inside an if statement is not included in memory. To test, you can try and echo a variable inside an if statement outside, and it will not of been set.

that's what i figured .. just wanted to double-check .. cheers (Y)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.