Suggestion : About ADs.

No, I absolutely hate when websites do it. What if I wanted to open it in the same window/tab? That's impossible when someone thought they should decide how I want to browse. Target=_blank is an accessibility issue, and W3C recommends against it in the strict DTDs, if I remember correctly. You'd have to ask Google anyway.

Right, I don't know what browser you use, but in Firefox you can Ctrl+Click (or middle click) on link to open in a new tab, or you can Shift+Click to open in a new Window. You can also right click on the link and choose those yourself. You have the power to control where you want it opened, if we do target=_blank then we remove that power from you, which is incredibly annoying. As I said, target=_blank is a usability problem. It makes it impossible to open in the same window/tab even if you want to.

It makes it impossible to open in the same window/tab even if you want to.

Umm... since when?  You can right click on any link and open it in a new tab or window even when the target is set to _blank.  I don't know a browser that stops you from doing that.  I actually prefer to have links open in a new tab.

It makes it impossible to open in the same window/tab even if you want to.

Umm... since when?  You can right click on any link and open it in a new tab or window even when the target is set to _blank.  I don't know a browser that stops you from doing that.  I actually prefer to have links open in a new tab.

He means opening it in the same window....

Try openning the link in your signature in the current window/tab. Because SMF uses target="_blank" it will always open in a new window/tab.

Not only is target not recommended, according to this W3C page, it is outright deleted from HTML 4.01 Strict and XHTML 1.0 Strict...

In HTML 4.01 Transitional and XHTML 1.0 Transitional, the target attribute can be used to open a new window, instead of automatic pop-ups. (The target attribute is deleted from HTML 4.01 Strict and XHTML 1.0 Strict.)

While this site uses XHTML 1.0 Transitional, I don't endorse the target method. As mentioned, control is removed. Never a good thing.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.