Putting data into SELECT using Javascript?

eva21

This is my select box:

<select class="train" name="solution" id="solution">

<?

echo("<option value='value1'></option>");

?>

</select>

here is my javascript:

<script>

alert("HELLO");

document.getElementById("solution").value = "DOES THIS WORKS";

</script>

Why does it not work?

The only way to interact client side with server side stuff is through something like AJAX.

PHP is already interpreted and displayed as HTML when the user sees the page.

Hmm... you really didn't provide enough informatin as to what you are trying to accomplish. I will rephrase what I think you are trying to accomplish and ask some questions to validate:

You are starting with a select list with a single empty item (value of 1, text is empty) - or does that select list have multiple values and you are only showing part of the code. You then want to change the "value" of the select list. The question is, do you want to change the value of the currently selected option or do you want to add an option with the new value and then select that value (leaving the original option(s) in place)?

Try explaining what you want to happen from a user perspective.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.