How to start and maintain a good forum (such as this one)

Derleek

Hello phpFreaks,

I personally cannot thank the creators of this forum enough.  This forum is responsible for me learning PHP and a lot of other stuff as well.  I have recently been shifting towards JavaScript (via the mootools framework). 

Unfortunately there is no forum that comes even close to phpFreaks as far as popularity, usefulness... or what have you.  Although there is a forum that is growing in popularity (MooForum)I was wondering if you creators/moderator's could give some insight to how you guys have created such an awesome forum. 

Furthermore if anyone would be willing to check out MooForum and let me know if there is anything that can be done to improve it that would be GREATLY appreciated

There are is no secret recipe. The most important ingredient in improving your chances of success is finding the right "niche". Phpfreaks worked out so well because there was a demand for it. People were looking for a php community to join and be part of. PHP is also one of the fastest growing communities. This forum hit the gold in finding the right "niche."

Unfortunately, your niche - "unofficial mootools" is a poor idea. I don't want to be so blunt about it - but creating a forum for mootools will not fly in the buisness world. Mootools has their own forum which has a bigger community and is OFFICIAL.

Why not create a niche for all javascript frameworks? I would like to have a forum for jquery/mootools framework bunched together. Throw in there some basic webdesign and php, and you got a perfect combo!

;)

as of mootools 1.2 they disabled the forums...

You can still look at *old* code and posts and what not... but otherwise this is the only forum for mootools currently.

MooForum actually has about 1700 users, alas only a handful are really active.

ALTHOUGH it would be pretty cool to have a forum that catered to all JS frameworks!

In that case, why not create a Javascript forum. Anyway, you've got about 1700 members. You haven't even been open for a year. You'll need to give it time. You won't just suddenly be big. Help forums tend to grow slower than other forums. Many people register just to get help with one issue and then leave again. These people never intended to actually stay.

In that case, why not create a Javascript forum. Anyway, you've got about 1700 members. You haven't even been open for a year. You'll need to give it time. You won't just suddenly be big. Help forums tend to grow slower than other forums. Many people register just to get help with one issue and then leave again. These people never intended to actually stay.

That's not a bad idea. Having a forum just for mootools or just the js frameworks might be a little bit too narrow. However creating a javascript forum might just pull it off.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.