Dual port motherboard and network

wiggst3r

Hi

I have a dual port motherboard (IN9 32X MAX) and I'd like to run a machine running Ubuntu server to utilise both ports.

Currently I have of of them eth0, running on the IP of 192.168.100.7 which is static and the other IP (eth1) is by DHCP.

The server is going to be a file server, with a static IP. Does this mean that both IP addresses for the NICs need to be the same?

Also is there anyway in which you can specify which ports should use internet traffic and the other port just to focus on internal network traffic?

Thank you

"I have a dual port motherboard (IN9 32X MAX) and I'd like to run a machine running Ubuntu server to utilise both ports."

Errr the operating system shouldn't matter.  Two ports are two ports (port meaning NIC).

"The server is going to be a file server, with a static IP. Does this mean that both IP addresses for the NICs need to be the same?"

Both IP addresses for the two NICs cannot be the same.  Also, if you're going to use two NICs, you should use both IP addresses not just one or all of the traffic will only go through one card.  (Unless of course you want that to happen.)

"Also is there anyway in which you can specify which ports should use internet traffic and the other port just to focus on internal network traffic?"

Do you mean port as in port number or do you mean port as in physical port as in NIC?  Either way, a few iptables entries should do the trick.  iptables is a bit of a bitch, but I would imagine you can either google for the answer or Ubuntu might have an iptables GUI.

First what kind of file server? FTP or SMB or torrent?

scsi + raid5 is better for file servers than sata but sata is a little cheaper(off topic sorry)

but to answer your question yes you can have 1 nic for Intranet and one nic for internet. but how it is done depends on what kind of file server you are setting up

one more off topic thing... Ubuntu  has a lot of crap that slows it down so archlinux might be more fit for what you are doing because its lighter and lighter is better on servers as we all know. and i hope you are using raid 5 or have really good harddrives.

and you mean Nic as port right

Yes I meant port as in NIC.

Currently eh0 is the port in which users are going to connect via samba (windows) and SSH via Mac OS. (192.168.100.7)

I wanted it so If I have one LAN/NIC port configured for all the internal connections via samba and ssh, then the second LAN/NIC could be used for internet traffic. This NIC is currently configured to get an IP address via DHCP, but this will change to a static one once I have chance to.

The reason for this as the current fileserver has alot of large files which are transferred around the office. If I could simply use one NIC for this traffic and another NIC for internet, it may help.

Would having both ports deal with intranet and internet traffic together be better than using one for intranet and one for internet?

Thanks

Would having both ports deal with intranet and internet traffic together be better than using one for intranet and one for internet?

You require 2 NIC anyhow as one will need a public IP address and the other your private IP address (192.168.x.x). If your public IP is e.g. 212.69.57.41 then all your website domain A records must point at it.

You require 2 NIC anyhow as one will need a public IP address and the other your private IP address (192.168.x.x). If your public IP is e.g. 212.69.57.41 then all your website domain A records must point at it.

You're assuming his server is the gateway to the internet.  What if it's behind a router and not how outbound traffic goes out?

You're assuming his server is the gateway to the internet

Doesn't have to be a gateway. The gateway is still the router. Just need to allow traffic through the required ports for incoming requests. Just the same as say setting up a MS Exchange server.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.