Zend Certification

alexweber15

I've decided to take the next step and get my ZCE Certification next month.  I'm in a position where I have some extra free time so I can afford to study a bit and think it'll be good for me professionally.

I got a Study Guide but it just lists every topic you're expected to know but doesn't actually tell you anything about the exam (is it by hand, by computer?  multiple choice?  code?  etc?)

Wondering if anyone here is certified and if there's any tips they can give.

Thanks!

-Alex

It's by computer from what I've read. And the questions are multiple choice, which can also have multiple answers.

I heard by some people that it's pretty difficult, but the studyguide is said to be considerably overkill.

All this is based on what I've heard/read, so don't take my word for it totally.

I'd also like to hear what people have to say about this, especially if they actually have zend cert.

I think it's too easy. Anyway, you'll have to show up at a test center. The test is a closed book multiple choice test spanning 90 minutes. Some questions have multiple answers, and some do only have a single answer. You won't have to actually write any code yourself. You'll need knowledge in OOP/OOD, security, XML, web services and features, string manipulation, regular expressions, streams and network programming, syntax, and databases.

Personally, I do not regard it very highly, but potential employers may have another opinion. However, if you want it, by all means, go for it. If you know your stuff then you should have plenty of time to complete it.

I think it's too easy. Anyway, you'll have to show up at a test center. The test is a closed book multiple choice test spanning 90 minutes. Some questions have multiple answers, and some do only have a single answer. You won't have to actually write any code yourself. You'll need knowledge in OOP/OOD, security, XML, web services and features, string manipulation, regular expressions, streams and network programming, syntax, and databases.

Personally, I do not regard it very highly, but potential employers may have another opinion. However, if you want it, by all means, go for it. If you know your stuff then you should have plenty of time to complete it.

thanks for the reply!

I know my stuff but there's certain things like XML and Streams that I'm gonna have to read up on...haven't used XML since I discovered JSON :)

Here in Brazil not many people have it so I figured it'd be a good thing for me to have :)

Do you have to be specific age to take the test? Can someone young take it, too?

• 2 weeks later...

I made a thread about this a while ago, same topic, same everything lol.

I believe the answer to the "do you need to be x years old to take it" was no, you can take it any time you are ready. I wish I could take it after I turn 17, hope I have the knowledge by then ;).

I personally regard the Zend Certification a waste of time and money, I have not seen to many employers requiring the Cert. to be considered for a job, only ones I have are more corporate types of companies that you need to "dress-up" everyday for work ( who wants to wear a tie and uniform to work.... )

I myself wouldn't take this into any consideration when hiring a developer, it does not prove in any way you know "how" to write code professionally, it only shows you have read and understand the documentation.

With that said, if you feel the need go right ahead, it wont be hard to pass if you know what your doing :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.