[SOLVED] I am new what am I doing wrong?

themuffin

Warning: main(/fab/header.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in (there is the rest of the path here) html/fab/content1.php on line 7

Warning: main(/fab/header.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in (there is the rest of the path here) html/fab/content1.php on line 7

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/fab/header.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in (there is the rest of the path here)/html/fab/content1.php on line 7

The above is the message I get.. what do I need to change?

require('../includes/header.php');

require('../includes/main_menu.php');

require('../includes/footer.php');

require('../includes/template.php');

I hope that;s what you asked for I am like .. crazy NEW at this..

and thanks

I don't think the path? is right

that's actually the problem.. I don't know the proper way to write the path.. perhaps that should be what I was asking.. I'm getting in way over my head I know, but I have a few other pages I have made with no problem.. I used include instead of require..

Well say the file you're calling the requires is in:

/usr/local/blah.com/main/current_page.php

Now when you call, "../includes" it goes back a dir, and into include.

So now we're in:

/usr/local/blah.com/main/includes

Then in that directory you're looking for "header.php".  Is that where it is, relatively?

yes Maq that is where it is -in includes

I thought when I uploaded the files to the remote server that I was putting them in the right place..

SO from the old error :

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'http://feelingabsolutelyfabulous.com/includes/header.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php')

should I put the includes in the php folder? as above?

assuming your paths relative from the document root are correct, consider something like:

include_once($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/includes/header.php');
include_once($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/includes/main_menu.php');
include_once($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/includes/footer.php');
include_once($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/includes/template.php');

jason

assuming your paths relative from the document root are correct, consider something like:

include_once($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/includes/header.php');
include_once($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/includes/main_menu.php');
include_once($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/includes/footer.php');
include_once($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/includes/template.php');

Warning: main(/home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/includes/header.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/fab/goal.php on line 7

Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/includes/header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/fab/goal.php on line 7

Warning: main(/home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/includes/main_menu.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/fab/goal.php on line 8

Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/includes/main_menu.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/fab/goal.php on line 8

Warning: main(/home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/includes/footer.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/fab/goal.php on line 9

Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/includes/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/fab/goal.php on line 9

Warning: main(/home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/includes/template.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/fab/goal.php on line 10

Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/includes/template.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/fab/goal.php on line 10

-- is that it?

I am beyond frustrated,

I have another bit that I am setting up and it works fine??

jason

I'm not positive about anything.. sadly.. I am totally muddled..

so this site is hosted as a folder of another site /fab/

so how do i write it so it goes to that folder?

I managed to install an Apache server ? on my local machine but I am not sure exactly how to direct each site where to put the testing files so I can see them..

I know, by now you are thinking you are dealing with a less than intelligent amoeba!!

sorry..

muffin, please answer the question.  All you have to do is successfully navigate to the includes directory with the path that came with the error.

Try to find this EXACT path:

/home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/includes

If you can't then you're calling the includes incorrectly...

Are you positive this is the path to your includes folder?

my guess is.... not in the least. :)

muffin... go to the directory where these include files are located and type:

pwd

what's output?

go to the directory in what? the browser?

Please don't give up on me..

Are you positive this is the path to your includes folder?

my guess is.... not in the least. :)

muffin... go to the directory where these include files are located and type:

pwd

what's output?

so my files from the root are:

/fab/

images

includes

scripts

I am using dreamweaver which is why I asked where to go to see the directory thing that one of you said to type in (pwd)

That's only if you have SSH access.

So let's go over this....

The path you're trying to access is currently:

The correct path:

/home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/fab/includes

The relative path you're calling from your PHP page:

../includes/header.php

The page you're calling it from:

html/fab/content1.php

So presumably you would change your relative path call to this to fix your problem:

../fab/includes/header.php

ok..so I did that and then this is the message I'm now getting

Warning: main(/home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html../fab/includes/header.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/fab/goal.php on line 7

Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html../fab/includes/header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/fab/goal.php on line 7

Warning: main(/home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html../fab/includes/main_menu.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/fab/goal.php on line 8

Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html../fab/includes/main_menu.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/fab/goal.php on line 8

Warning: main(/home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html../fab/includes/footer.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/fab/goal.php on line 9

Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html../fab/includes/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/fab/goal.php on line 9

Warning: main(/home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html../fab/includes/template.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/fab/goal.php on line 10

Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html../fab/includes/template.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/fab/goal.php on line 10

Maq-

page goal.php-

<?php

$site_title = "Feeling Absolutely Fabulous";

$page_title = "Welcome Page";

$main .= "<div style=\"text-align:left; margin:10px;\">Welcome to the Feeling Absolutely Fabulous website!<br />I hope that you enjoy your time here</div>";

include_once($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '../fab/header.php');

include_once($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '../fab/main_menu.php');

include_once($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '../fab/includes/footer.php');

include_once($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '../fab/includes/template.php');

?>

-------------------

page content1.php-

<?php

$site_title = "My Website";

$page_title = "Sample Template Content Page 1";

$main .= "<div style=\"text-align:left; margin:10px;\">Welcome to the Feeling Absolutely Fabulous website!<br />I hope that you enjoy your time here</div>";

require('../fab/header.php');

require('../fab/includes/main_menu.php');

require('../fab/includes/footer.php');

require('../fab/includes/template.php');

?>

error message for content1.php

Warning: main(../fab/header.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/fab/content1.php on line 7

Warning: main(../fab/header.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/fab/content1.php on line 7

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required '../fab/header.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/content/s/c/t/sctfaery/html/fab/content1.php on line 7

my humble apologies..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.