[SOLVED] linux shell scripting

dennismonsewicz

I am moving on to writing some shell scripting and had a quick question.

I need another script to run when my linux box starts up (or in case it goes down and I need to bring it back up) and I was wondering in my shell command how do I write something to tell another script to start?

I actually figured out how to do it but I am getting the following:

#!/bin/sh

/work/projects/liferay/tomcat/bin/ . startup.sh &

I am receiving the following error:

/work/projects/liferay/tomcat/bin/: Permission denied

The second line of code above is to start the Tomcat service and is supposed to start the service and then boot up Firefox showing Liferay (An open source CMS built on JAVA).

I have checked ALL the permissions on that particular folder (bin) and have even blown them wide open starting at the root dir of /work.

Any help?

hey guys i learned a HARD lesson in chmod... I chmod'ed the usr folder (not thinking) and foo bar'ed everything so i had to reinstall and got everything working! Thanks for all yall's help :)

Hence, don't execute commands as root unless you specifically need to.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.