Collection of the Best Tutorial Sites for Newcomers

Ken2k7

From being around the help forums, there is about a topic or two everyday that someone post about not knowing how to do some simple stuff in PHP, JavaScript, and especially AJAX. Looks like hardly many people actually know AJAX outside of using a JavaScript library like jQuery.

So I'm thinking about getting a mini-collection of some PHP, JavaScript, AJAX, and possibly SQL tutorials that you all think would be worthwhile to put in my sig so if the situation comes up, I can just have them view a link. Telling them to Google is fine, but almost 99% of the time, they'll end up posting a follow up message saying they're confused, blah blah blah.

I'm sure some of you know some really good and informative places to learn about those languages. I plan to keep this simple. Those of you who have been around the Help forums know best on what the most frequently asked questions are. I would just like tutorials on those specifically. I've been away for a while and I've just returned the past week so I'm still trying to soak it all in. It's been a bit crazy. :D

I'm just aiming for PHP, JavaScript, AJAX and maybe SQL for now. I have a few I use, but they may not be best for newcomers.

Thanks in advance to any contributors! ;D

Not a load of links. I'm thinking about 3 for PHP, 1 for AJAX, 1 for JavaScript. I'll decide what to put. :) I can take down Helpful Links line to reduce space. Plus! Half the time, people don't look at my sig.

I know I'm going to put a PHP Pagination tutorial because that comes up all the time. :D I'm just looking for ideas. :)

corbin - I agree. I have yet to see any good AJAX tutorials. They show how to get it working, but they suck at explaining the process so newbies can actually understand the purpose of the lines of code.

Definitely. That is one of the tutorials that is definitely going into my sig :) I just need a few of those. I'm still examining what problems the majority that members ask in the PHP Help forum. So far, pagination is up there. Other silly things like string variable interpolation is pretty high up. Though, I'm not sure if a tutorial is called for those. I just like to have some specific tutorials and I may update my sig as I see fit. So have a few spare in my repository never hurts. I see a lot of helpful members (particularly staff) have good links, but they are more broad and you know members, they are lazy and they do not like searching. Of course, that's their problem.

Though I admit, in my years of programming, I have not found Google be of much help. Tutorials found on those are lame! I do a lot of try attempts and from there, I begin to understand how things really work. And helping around here helps to learn new things as well as keeping my mind fresh. :) But you get my point. It's hard to find good tutorials on the web via Google. Even right now I have yet to find any good ones. Last month, I tried to learn more about mod_rewrite and man did I fail! Maybe I'm not good at Google-ing or the tutorials are not good at explaining the materials in terms I can understand. Whichever, each person is different. I get it. No *one* tutorial will suffice everyone, but if it helps the majority of people, I'm up for it.

I'll run trials with links in my sig and direct users here to them. If they find it confusing, I would ask which part is confusing, etc.. Just to tally up some votes and see which part is confusing and which link work best. If need be, I can write a tutorial with parts modified. :-\

I think asking other people to populate your sig is a little ass backwards.  If you find something you deem important to put in your profile then by all means do it.  Afterall, it is your profile, but I think that any flagged member of this community will likely create a tutorial for the main site if they think it is that important and it would be pretty stupid to list those in your profile. Just my $.02. 

I think asking other people to populate your sig is a little ass backwards.  If you find something you deem important to put in your profile then by all means do it.  Afterall, it is your profile, but I think that any flagged member of this community will likely create a tutorial for the main site if they think it is that important and it would be pretty stupid to list those in your profile. Just my $.02.

Fair enough. I'm only looking for suggestions. To me, I have yet to find a site of great importance, but the only site of  any relevance to me is php.net. But let's face it, how many people use that? Maybe if they know how to debug and know syntax, they would use it for reference.

I know there have been topics in the past where people ask for good tutorial sites for a language. I was hoping to see if anyone can list a few of those. I'll look through the tutorials here, but I think most of them are more related to a specific program rather than helping newbies find the ropes around a programming language.

Pretty much all of the forums outside of php help are there more as a matter of filtering out questions from php help, than actually being there to provide services for them... I mean sure, sql questions etc.. do come up a lot, because they tie in closely to php, but we're a php specific community, not a devshed type place that likes to focus on everything.  We don't even post things on the main site (tutorials, etc..) unless there's some kind of php involved.  For instance, we would put up an ajax tutorial if php is used as the backend, but you will probably not find a strictly js tutorial on this site. 

Point of all that is we aren't really interested in being a comprehensive "everything programming related" site; we focus on php and as a courtesy, semi-cater to stuff that interacts with it. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.