help with displaying variables

imarockstar

I need to choose the date from a mysql DB and display them using PHP ... my problem is that in the DB the date fields are in this format  MONTH . DAY . YEAR .. so basically there is a column for the month for the day and for the year.

I need to choose a row based on the date ... but since they are in 2 different columns ... I am not sure how to do that ..

this is what I am using now ...

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM shows where month < '5' && userid = ". $_SESSION['id']); 
$showsplayed = mysql_num_rows($result);

right now I am selecting the row based on the MONTH only ... but i need to select the row that has the date that is before TODAYS (current date) date ...

So i would think I would need t join all 3 columns .. then choose it ?

Then I would just echo the data in that row ...

im soo confused lol ... any help would be awesome ..

You need to properly store your dates using MySQL's DATE column type.  You can use STR_TO_DATE() to fix this with a single update statement, and also use this function to format your form input (though a proper date picker won't have this issue whatsoever).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.