another little help needed with queries.

seany123

i have this code...

<?php
$query = $db->execute("update `gangs` set `money`=? where `id`=?", array($gang['money'] + $_POST['money'], $player->gang_id));
$query1 = $db->execute("update `players` set `money`=? where `id`=?", array($player->money - $_POST['money'], $player->id));
?>

$query1 works fine removing the correct amount but...

$query: instead of it adding $gang['money'] and $_POST['money'] it just sets $gang['money'] to whatever the value $_POST['money'] is...

so say $gang['money'] = 300 and $_POST['money'] = 50, it should set the new $gang['money'] to 350... instead it just sets it to 50

Have you tried

echo $gang['money'] + $_POST['money'];

before the query?

that seems to only echo the $_POST['money'].

try pulling the adding outside of the query method call

$foo = var1 + var 2

yourmethod(array($foo, others))

what like this?

$gang['money'] = $gang['money'] + $_POST['money'];

Or did you mean $gang->money? If the money you're updating is the gang itself (assuming id is a PK), then try this

$query = $db->execute("update `gangs` set `money`= `money` + ? where `id`=?", array($_POST['money'], $player->gang_id));

Instead of using defined variables somewhere else in the script, probably from another query, why not just do something like:

$money = (int) $_POST['money']; // Set for int, not really needed with prepared statements but good habits 
$query = $db->execute("update `gangs` set `money`= `money` + ? where `id`=?", array($money, $player->gang_id));
$query1 = $db->execute("update `players` set `money`= `money` - ? where `id`=?", array($money, $player->id));

Or did you mean $gang->money? If the money you're updating is the gang itself (assuming id is a PK), then try this

$query = $db->execute("update `gangs` set `money`= `money` + ? where `id`=?", array($_POST['money'], $player->gang_id));

that has made the query work... but it still means i cant do other things with the values like this...

<?php
if(($gang['money'] + $_POST['money']) >= $gang['maxmoney'])
{
}
?>

and the values are all pulled using this query at the top of my page...

$query = $db->execute("select * from gangs where `id`= $player->gang_id");
$gang = $query->fetchrow;

Woah, what happened to question marks? :D I really hate the question mark style.... I can't tell if your SQL works or not. I assume it doesn't.

$query = $db->execute("select * from gangs where `id`= ?", array($player->gang_id));

Alternatively, you could put brackes "{}" around $player->gang_id.

Woah, what happened to question marks? :D I really hate the question mark style.... I can't tell if your SQL works or not. I assume it doesn't.

$query = $db->execute("select * from gangs where `id`= ?", array($player->gang_id));

Alternatively, you could put brackes "{}" around $player->gang_id.

well i dont really know.. because when i echo things like..

<?= $english_format_number = number_format($gang['maxmoney']);?>

it returns the correct value so for that reason i thought the query was working...

its just when puting the values into an if statement it doesnt seem to work.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.