Do broken links affect SEO?

cleary1981

Hi,

I have recently had my website redesigned. In google now I have various pages appearing in search results that do not exist anymore. I have tried using robot.txt to not use these pages but they still display in search engine. Is there anyway of removing these pages and will they have a negative affect on my pagerank and SEO attempts?

http://www.ragepank.com/articles/97/seo-issues-with-moving-a-domain/

The GoogleBot will follow links into bestsitesof2006.com and see the 301 redirect. The old page will be removed from Google's index and the new page added instead.

By deleting and then adding, there is no issue with duplicate content as the 2 pages don't exist in Google's index at the same time.

Add your site to Google webmaster tools. Authenticate. Then go to your site and click "Tools" link on the sidebar. You will see an option to "Remove URLs". Use that to remove urls you do not want in Google's index.

Hi,

I have recently had my website redesigned. In google now I have various pages appearing in search results that do not exist anymore. I have tried using robot.txt to not use these pages but they still display in search engine. Is there anyway of removing these pages and will they have a negative affect on my pagerank and SEO attempts?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes they do and i would suggest you to make every single page in your web site to be relevant and consistent. The content must be well written and the pages must connect to each other in terms to better refer website visitors to the next relevant page... you know... just make a good website without taking care of the SEO... and it will work

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.