Hypothesizing on how FaceBook does there friends updates in the center collumn

TGWSE_GY

I am creating a Community Site and it intrigues me on how Face Book 1. Displays the status updates and other things that the user does in the center column. 2. How it refreshes on its own.

What I am wondering is 1. How do they achieve displaying all of the users friends updates. I know that it has to be stored in mysql/sql however I am trying to hypothesize on the php code behind the scenes.

I would imagine that one could make it really difficult on themselves with a lot of useless code or one could make easy on themselves through the use of recursion. I am really wondering what peoples thoughts on the process is because I have an Idea of how to achieve it, However all attempts to date fail in one form or another. I really have no code to show because this is less of a debugging question and more of a  "How Does It Work" question.

Any input would be great!

Thanks fellow PHPFREAKS! ;D8)

1. Have some activity table keep track of what any given user is doing. Then query it.

2. AJAX to have it refresh on its own.

Though I admit I don't use Facebook nor do I like it so I have no further knowledge because I have no idea what Facebook does with the updates. I don't think you need recursion though. A SQL JOIN most likely.

Hi

All threads seem to relate to a particular user, so they can just check that particular user is a friend. Doesn't care if any of the replies are from non friends.

Say they have a table of threads and a table of posts, a table of users and a table of users friends.

Threads

ThreadId

UserId (owner of thread)

PostId

ThreadId

UserId

Users

UserId

Name

UserFriends

UserFriendId

UserId

SELECT *
FROM Threads a
JOIN UserFriends b ON a.UserId = b.UserId AND b.UserId = $LoggedInUser
LEFT OUTER JOIN Posts c ON a.ThreadId = c.ThreadId
LEFT OUTER JOIN Users d ON c.UserId = d.UserId

All the best

Keith

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.