HP & Dell

samona

Hi,

I'm trying to hook up a drive that i have on an HP computer into my dell computer so that I can save the files on the HP hard drive to my dell.  When i boot it, the computer says it doesn't support PCI device.  I can't even get into the bios to make it a slave drive.  Any ideas.

If it's unsupported then it's unsupported. I know you can purchase casings for "normal" internal HDDs so they can be used like an external HDD via USB. Maybe something similar exists for laptop HDDs.

Edit: Somehow I thought "laptop" when I read your post. I obviously don't know if that's the case, but you can buy those casings.

When i boot it, the computer says it doesn't support PCI device.

Are you sure you haven't knocked anything else out of place, installing a hard drive shouldn't affect any of your PCI devices. If it's a PATA disk, check your jumpers too.

Check the jumper settings, dell should be master and the hp slave, or both on cable select.

Reset the CMOS.  This helps sometimes.  There should be either a jump or a button on your board for this.  If it's a jumper style, there will be 3 pins, 2 of them being covered.  Move the jumper to the middle pin + the pin which wasn't covered before.  Hit the power button, the computer may or may not turn on, doesn't matter.  Turn the computer off now if it did come on.  Put the jumper back into it's original position, cmos should now be reset.

You can also try to set the bios to only boot the dell drive and ignore the hp drive (some bios can do this, some can't).  This may or may not work, I'm guessing due to the lack of detail in your post.

If you still have a problem with a PCI device then I'm not sure.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.