[SOLVED] functions list

jmr3460

I am trying to find a way to learn the functions list. I have tried to go through some of the functions on the php 5 online manual but I get lost in where I go next. I have looked for a way to get to a complete list of all of the functions and just go down the list. Maybe I just haven't found the right way to find the list on php.net. Is there a book or pdf that I can use to find and study this list? I did a search for php 5 manual pdf and php 5 function list and nothing seems to take me to a list or even a pdf book that I don't have to join some other club or give them my email list where they promise not to send me any unwanted email from any of their associated partners. I would be willing to buy a book with the list in it but the books I have got a hold of starts me out learning a few things then has me to do a few projects then lets me go on my own to find more. Book stores are doing less and less books on this subject which is a place where I can at least open and look inside to see if it is a project book or a real reference book.

Can anyone help me, Please! 

I have looked for a way to get to a complete list of all of the functions and just go down the list.

You can try something like this:

echo '<pre>'.print_r(get_defined_functions(), true);

This will list all functions, but understand that the list will not include language constructs like echo for example, as these are not, well, functions. Hope that helps.

wow.  So I typed "php functions" into google and first thing on the list was

http://www.php.net/quickref.php

which looks suspiciously like a list of functions. Even has things like echo on the list.  I'm still looking at that link though.  It might not be what it appears to be.  You know how it goes.  Bait and switch, etc... maybe we can form a task force to investigate it.

I know how google usually returns absolutely nothing relevant to what you're trying to find, so most people don't use it.  Understandable that you wouldn't even bother trying it.  I myself only resorted to it after spending an hour searching through my own collection of books and boomarked links and posts here on the forum.  It was sort of a "fuck, well shit, couldn't hurt to try" last desperate attempt to come up with something thing. 

Frankly I'm surprised and shocked that that should pop up.  I know, mind boggling, right?? I should screenshot it or something.  Send it to drudgereport.com. Front page of New York Times!  It might actually cause Mr. Gates to bing his pants, knowing his competition got something right for once.

Dude, stop wasting your time. Memorizing all the functions is entirely useless.

QFT.

Instead, Try to think of it like this: the fewer amount of words you can use to describe what you want to do, the higher the possibility there is an existing function out there just for you. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.