Completely New Design, please say what you think.

npsari

Hello there,

I changed the old design to make my current users happier and to make it easier for new visitors

My site offers free advertising services

I really appreciate your honest opinion

Please check my site and tell me the following...

1. What is your first impression?

2. Is it easy to understand?

3. Does it look professional?

4. Does it look trust worthy?

5. What can be fixed?

Thank you in advance 

:)  http://www.yavrim.com  :)

Here are my thoughts:

- I am not a fan of the scrolling text along the top. I feel it is distracting / annoying

- squashed thumbnails suggest you are loading the full size and stuffing it into the thumbnail sizes... This wastes bandwidth (and looks cheezie).

- Your sign in and register buttons have rounded corners, but since it is not a gif or png, the round corner effect is useless, due to lack of transparency.

- I would move the 'Welcome to join Yavrim' section to the top of the page, somewhere above the screen fold. Being at the bottom feels like an afterthought.

- Perhaps beef up the graphics, as it currently does feel slightly under par (no offense). The only graphic I like is the bar graph icon for the 'We will multiply your traffic x3' section. Use more professional looking icons and borders to enhance the look and feel of the site.

- I do find home page slightly cluttered.. the eyes don't quite know where to focus. I would perhaps consider merging the left hand panels (Summary..., How it works and Features... into a singular section in a nice clean layout (I wouldn't encase them in borders, as the entire content is already done like that. The less clutter, the better. Let the content form it's own boundaries.

- You may want to look into validating your markup, as well as your css. So as a result, I won't delve into any additional code issues other than what comes next...(SEO)

- Not much to speak of in the context of SEO. You lag heading tags (like <h1>, <h2's>, <h3's>, etc..). You can ditch the meta keywords tag, as search engines don't use this much anymore. You should invest some time into implementing SEO if you care about page rankings..

- You should use css for layouts, not tables.

Overall, it took more time than I would have liked to load on my DSL modem. My version of firefox is not compatible with my version of firebug, so I can't do more testing. But I would look into reducing clutter.... fixing the image thumbnails so that it isn't odd sized images being forced into smaller dimensions. Simplify the layout.. you don't need to cram that much info on the page, as too much info is a bad thing.

wow, thank you very much for such quality feedback

I will make time to fix all the things you mentioned

Yes, Your points are all correct in my opinion too

If you like me to give you feedback on your site, let me know

Many thanks

I agree with arg_alpha about the scrolling text. It's very distracting. Plus it goes way too fast and doesn't stop when you mouse over, meaning it's almost blind luck which page you'll end up on. Perhaps you should look at making the scroller work vertically. In other words, scroll one link up at a time, pause for 5-10 seconds, then scroll again. This is less distracting and while it is still a little cheesy, it's far better than a fast flowing stream of information

I'm also still seeing squashed thumbnails (I don't know if you've fixed that or not, just mentioning). Perhaps you need to enforce some kind of size requirements for images or not make the profile box so big.

Asides from that, it's a nice looking site. The colours are simple and the blue liquid-y effect adds some playfulness. Keep it up :)

You can ditch the meta keywords tag, as search engines don't use this much anymore.

Oh but they do!! At least, Yahoo does. I have a family friend I created a website for and occasionally perform some development on, lately it's mainly been SEO. The other day he told me he'd received an order that he tracked back to Yahoo and someone had entered "cheap (.....)", which he was positioned about 5th. Without the word 'cheap' in the search he wasn't found. Quite literally the only place the word 'cheap' is found on the website, is within the meta keywords tag!

Thank you guys for the feedback

I fixed few things by now

1. The top scrolling links are gone

2. The bad looking Sign-in & Register buttons are replaced

3. The Information boxes on the left are more clear now

I am still fixing the things you mentioned

Hope you like my site now

You can ditch the meta keywords tag, as search engines don't use this much anymore.

Oh but they do!! At least, Yahoo does. I have a family friend I created a website for and occasionally perform some development on, lately it's mainly been SEO. The other day he told me he'd received an order that he tracked back to Yahoo and someone had entered "cheap (.....)", which he was positioned about 5th. Without the word 'cheap' in the search he wasn't found. Quite literally the only place the word 'cheap' is found on the website, is within the meta keywords tag!

Well, meta keyword tags have been heavily abused in the past (people stuffing tons of high ranking (yet unrelated) key words for the sake of better page rankings). If Yahoo does still make use of this tag, I would be really surprised if they put heavy stock into this tag as a major deciding factor (which would indicate that Yahoo has not realized the abusive past / nature of this tag to begin with - highly unlikely).

In this SEO book, regarding the keyword meta tag:

For some time it has been seen as an important part of the SEO initiative, but none of the major search engines see the keyword meta tag as a reliable means of determining the content of a page....

some paragraphs regarding stuffing keywords as I just mentioned...

Search Engines started to address this problem in 1998 by looking at the actual content of the page rather than the keyword meta tag for clues about a page's relevance to a search term. Today, all the major search engines have followed suit, making the keyword's meta tag obsolete. You can safely omit it from your pages without worry of missing out on ranking benefits.

In other words, page content is king. If someone is relying on the keyword tag for strong ranking results, they are focusing on the wrong area, as search engines have evolved in their algorithms in ranking pages (it's a moving target). It's always best to use relevant key words (without falling into the trap of keyword stuffing) in your content instead, as this has more 'weight' in the matter (in conjunction with many other aspects like the meta description tag, heading tags (<h1><h2>), <strong> and <em> tags, etc...

I don't think it's harmful in using it if that's what your asking. I just wouldn't put heavy stock into it. I personally follow the advice of ditching it altogether, as I believe that if you have good worded copy in your page (which my site doesn't - it's going to be redesigned with those improvements in mind) with carefully selected rich keywords (and again, in conjunction with the additional SEO aspects already mentioned and avoiding key word stuffing), you shouldn't have to rely on the keywords tag. But again, I don't think it's necessarily wrong to keep it in the code.. just that search engines won't make heavy use of it (if at all - I guess that depends on which one we're talking about).

I'd add more space inbetween the list of features and cut down on the use of fat fonts.

Making something bold should be used to make something out, not for the entire page.

And like mentioned before, try to get it to validate, the <font> tag has been depecrated like 10 years ago... and meaningfull HTML doesn't seem to be used. It's tables where they shouldn't be, and items that make up a list (such as the features on the frontpage) aren't in a list.

Yeah I agree. I've read somwhere too that bold tags if you use them right Google will use them to index the site better - but that could be completely wrong.

But yeah looks better without the images stretched and odd looking. Think the adds are a bit much, as far as adverts go, a laptop sale or something looks better than Google's plain text style that's odd to the rest of the site; the ones on the left. In my opinion...

Yeah I agree. I've read somwhere too that bold tags if you use them right Google will use them to index the site better - but that could be completely wrong.

Google reading tags as for what they should be used for will pay more attention to words inside a <strong> tag. If you want your page to rank on 'real butter' and it's about chocolate chip cookies it would be wise to stick a "Please use <strong>real butter</strong> instead of margarine" on the page.

(I don't think it pays any attention to text made fat via CSS, don't know about <b>)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.