Java or Javascript?

Bman900

Which is a better language? I just got a book on Java and it seems cool but then I discovered that there was JavaScript. I work with PHP a lot and want to embed some java (as I thought of course) but realized I might need javascript instead. Is it worth learning java or should I just go to javascript?

Java can be either used as an Applet or a Program, Applets are ofcourse, embeddable applications, much like flash.

To my knowledge, they're both the same, code wise, except, when you embed it, it is no longer running on the server's side, it is running on the client's side..

Yes, JavaScript is what you're interested in learning though.

Java can be used in a browser via an applet, similiar to Flash.

Java can also be used to 'create'  a page via JSP, similar to PHP.

However an applet doesn't work by default in Vista (or at least it didn't for me and some others) as some settings needs to be changed, not to mention java itself will have to be installed. So far web related purposes that leaves a rather small target group.

Javascript comes with any major browser and can be used to enrich the browsing experience, it shouldn't be relied on for vital things like navigation however.

However an applet doesn't work by default in Vista (or at least it didn't for me and some others) as some settings needs to be changed, not to mention java itself will have to be installed. So far web related purposes that leaves a rather small target group.

I've never had to change any settings to get an applet to work....  (Not running Vista right now, but I did for 2 years.)

Also, you have to install it your self with all Windows operating systems, afaik.

According to Google Analytics, 91.86% of people who have vied that site have Java.  (Google Analytics relies on JavaScript though, so maybe people without JavaScript are less likely to have Java.)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.