php/mysq programmer moving to linux?

sbogde

Hi,

I am a php/mysq programmer & I'd like to completely get rid of windows and switch to linux.

I am mainly using these:

- zend dev environment/php editor

- browsers: ie, ff, safari

- a web localhost - apache, php, mysql

- sometimes adobe photoshop - screenshots, basic image manipulation

considering all these what linux distribution do you think I should use?

are there any php/mysql programmers that work in linux only?

I am really looking forward to hearing from you guys.

thank you.

I personally don't exclusively use linux, but some web developers do.  (I sometimes test on linux, but I typically develop on Windows....  Even though everything I use has a linux version.)

Zend Studio has a linux version, as do Apache, PHP, MySQL and Firefox.

As for Photoshop/IE/Safari, there is not a native linux version for any of those, so you would have to use something like Wine (a program that emulates the Windows environment in hopes of getting a Windows executable to run).

• 2 weeks later...

There are a few distro choosers online that will ask a few questions and try to match a distro to your needs.  For example: http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

To test your pages on different platforms:

IE - ies4linux (requires wine)

Safari - Konqueror uses the same web engine

Firefox - Native Support

Image Manipulation:

Photoshop - GIMP - Native image manipulation program

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working with PHP on Linux only. My environment:

- NetBeans as IDE

- MySQL5

- Lighttpd

- PHP 5.2, 5.3 and 6.0-dev installed simultaneously through FastCGI

- Some extra management scripts: external or written by myself

Basically, it does not differ very much from programming under Windows, except that you have a better system console (if you need it) and case-sensitive filesystem. However, I found that it is much easier to customize the overall environment, as you can recompile PHP or add new modules to it without any problems.

Majority of Adobe Photoshop versions work excellent under Linux via Wine, so if you like it, there should be no problems in using them.

• 4 weeks later...

You could install VirtualBox or some other virtual server to run Windows within Linux just for testing apps. I do 90% of my php-mysql coding in Linux with no issues. Also it seems that GIMP would work great as a Photoshop replacement for your basic image manipulation.

I find gimp is completely backwards from photoshop and those who like photoshop and try gimp look at it sideways and say 'what do I do with this?' - but I say that seconding the recommendation of 'if you're going to use linux' run virtual box in it and run a copy of windows in this which will run photoshop and any other non-linux apps you have.

I do find it's much nicer to develop in Linux myself but for the client I'm always having to test in Windows. 

I'm using windows and linux.  I have my IDE (netbeans) on my windows box along with the Adobe suite for design.  I have my linux box running apache/mysql and any other services.  I just have netbeans configured to upload directly to my linux box as I save files and test directly from my linux box by setting up my hosts file on windows. I keep a putty window open for the linux box and have it running in another room without a gui.

I have noticed however that since setting up my environment this way netbeans has some performance issues, so I have to work that out.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.