Files keep reappearing after being delete

anto_mac

Trying to delete files in feora 7 , everytime  I delete they keep reappearing.  I have done a ls -l on the files they appear as ??????? ? ? ? ?        ? lockvcsd . Have try rm -f to force delete them doesnt work try moving them and chmod them no good. Have also trying going into the folder using file browser to delete them but the disappear the moment I click on them and reappear when I go back into the folder.

Any help would really be great

Have you tried to sudo the rm?  If that doesn't work then try, "/bin/rm -rf [file_names]".

Where/what are these files from?  Maybe there is an application that's regenerating them.  You may also want to check to rootkits.  I dont' think this is the problem, but you never know and it can't hurt - http://www.chkrootkit.org/download/.  Other than that, I'm not sure, good luck.

Have tried sudo the rm and trying deleting them as root user as well no good. The files are temporary lock files for a software license tool , cant use tool now because lock arent been deleted , should be deleted once license has been close

They're probably loaded in memory, and after you delete them, they could be returned and rewritten to the disk. I could be wrong however.

You could look at lsof which lists open files.

What filesystem are you using? ext3?

-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.