XSS attacks... Am I still vunreble if

cs.punk

OMG! I am so rude! I asked the question like a moron! I was busy and typing it with my phone... So sorry...

To be more specific, what I have is this:

filterget.php

<?php
include "mysqlcon.php";

$con = mysqli_connect("$dbhost", "$dbuser", "$dbpass")
       or die ("Could not connect to database");

if (isset($_GET))
{foreach($_GET as $var => $value )
   {$var = mysqli_real_escape_string($con, strip_tags(trim($value)));
    //Why I do the 'mysqli_real_escape_string' is really stupid and useless
    //But I feel it makes the code 'more secure' although it does not...though maybe.
     if (is_numeric($var))
      {
  }
     else
      {header("Location: /index.php");
      }
   }
}
else
}

?>

I include this page where ever I need to recieve $_GET varibles....

I made it so that if it's not a numerical numbers -> redirect the person to the index page...

I don't think you are fully aware of what XSS is (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-site_scripting) plus there are many more vulnerabilities to which you have to protect not only your scripts but even your server(s)

Uhm I am aware that it takes a 'script' from another domain/source...

And uhm, I have

strip_tags();on all input I recieve

mysqli_real_escape; Aswell on all input I recieve

I only allow .jpegs to be uploaded...

Uhm how more secure can you be?

Uhm I am aware that it takes a 'script' from another domain/source...

That is correct and this is submitted to your website through a form which is passed through POST stored in the database and viewed by unknown users (if these users are authenticated then it is possible to steal their session to impersonate them, even administratives). Ofcourse if you don't have any form on your website (which is unlikely) you should be safe. So cleaning GET only won't suffice.

You don't want visitors to know this.. Use a combination of set_error_handler() and trigger_error() or error_log() These are influenced by the display_errors directive, die() is not.

or die ("Could not connect to database");

performing strip_tags() on globals will completly disallow submitting html however it is still possible (i think) if using encoding.

This is an example of no proper programming:

if (is_numeric($var))
{
}
else
{
header("Location: /index.php");
}

For readability modify your code to:

if (!isset($_GET)) {
    header("Location: /index.php");
}

// no else! continue execution
foreach ($_GET ..

performing strip_tags() on globals will completly disallow submitting html however it is still possible (i think) if using encoding.

Why would I want HTML in my $_GETS?... example.com/posts/post=<h1>This is stupid</h1>

This is an example of no proper programming:

if (is_numeric($var))
{
}
else
}

No proper programming? The only thing I see fit for passing through GET is IDs of somesort. So the following code, included to a page, will check the value of the GET, if it is something funny like :www.badsite.com/xssattack.php, it will reject it :).

I would use "intval()" of all values because even if they enter a string of some sort the inval of that is 1.  Be carefull though because the intval of NULL is in fact zero.

That is because NULL points to the the memory address 0x00000000 which if translated from hex to integer is 0 and for boolean is false, .. Or atleast something like that, I can't remember the lessons that well ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.