Newbie Sections added to ALL forums

Hi I like to request a newbie sections added to the forums.

Especially php Help and Mysql Help.

So if you post in the newbie section, is it automatically taken for granted

that you are learning and probably don't know what you're doing.....

So the Gurus will be gentle......

We're all learning here... and getting newbies to post in the right place sounds hard enough as is.

I would just suggest asking questions in a manner that gets you more answers than snide remarks.  Or explain that you're new and want people to be easy on you in your threads... besides, CV likes it rough.

Hi I like to request a newbie sections added to the forums.

Especially php Help and Mysql Help.

Well, this logic could extend to making newbie sections almost everywhere... I would wager this would create plenty of additional forums (more work for the staff to keep track of). Personally, I would do as xtopolis suggests and simply state you are a newbie and ask other members / staff to bear with you in your posts.

So the Gurus will be gentle......

Gurus are friendly, gentle creatures.. its once you get into the staff ranks that you have to worry! lol j/k

But seriously, just state your new in that particular topic, and if people give you lip, politely yell at them to  :stop:  and  :keep_quiet: !

>:)

I see your point, and we actually did use to have a newbie section (though it was before my time).

There are a couple of problems with splitting it up like that. First of all, many people are delusional about their skills. It's really difficult to evaluate whether or not you're still a newbie. I might also have a different opinion about what constitutes a newbie question and what doesn't. There is also the problem that some people might get offended if we move a topic to a newbie forum when they genuinely think it's a more advanced topic.

As the others said, if you state in the topic that you're just starting out with programming, I'm confident most people will cut you some extra slack.

I see your point, and we actually did use to have a newbie section (though it was before my time).

There are a couple of problems with splitting it up like that. First of all, many people are delusional about their skills. It's really difficult to evaluate whether or not you're still a newbie. I might also have a different opinion about what constitutes a newbie question and what doesn't. There is also the problem that some people might get offended if we move a topic to a newbie forum when they genuinely think it's a more advanced topic.

As the others said, if you state in the topic that you're just starting out with programming, I'm confident most people will cut you some extra slack.

I haven't actually had anyone give me a hard time...

But I've seen it when searching other posts.

Been lurking here for sometime.

I've only very recently started to ask for help.

Because some of you guys ARE SCARY....LOL

What I have had is an assumption of knowledge.

I am trying to add things, that I've never done before,

or even if it's possible to do.

So I'll keep all your comments in mind.

Still think it's a good idea.

Cheers

I see. Without knowing which topics you are referring to, it is often expected that people do their own research first instead of just directly asking for help. If the question can be answered by consulting the manual or by the first search result for obvious keywords you might sometimes get what you regard as "rude" remarks.

The thing is just that if you decide to become self-learned in a particular subject, most people will have certain expectations of what you will do yourself to achieve that.

When/if people say "RTFM" they are often saying that because they're looking at it and seeing that it contains the answer.

There are also some posts that are plain stupid, and it should be obvious to the poster that it is. Like posting 1000 lines of code and saying that it doesn't work. It would be like calling a mechanic asking "My car doesn't work, how do I fix it?" No mentioning of how it's supposed to work, and what it means it doesn't work. Then there are questions like "Does this work?" Again, something only the poster himself will know. The poster is the only one who knows how it's supposed to work, so the poster can just check for himself. These don't have anything to do with being new at PHP or programming. These are things that should be common knowledge, and if you fail at that I'm afraid you're bound to eventually get a less polite remark.

The quality of the responses you get is directly proportional to the quality of your question. The more information you can provide (not more as in excess, but more as in sufficient and relevant) the higher the chances somebody wants to help you. If you show that you've tried yourself, and that you've done the necessary research then you are much more likely to get a helpful response. See, the problem isn't so much related to being a newbie and being experienced, but it's related to how much work you're willing to do yourself. Some people seem to forget that everybody that helps around here are volunteers and that they are not entitled to help. This means you should do what you can to entice people to help you (for the record, that doesn't mean topic titles like "help plz urgent").

If you have some arguments pro newbie specific boards, do present them. Everything (well, mostly everything) is up for debate.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.