Query inside a query...

dannyluked

MySQL version = 5.1

Hi,

I want to add a comments section to my homemade blog! Firstly I currently have a blog (that queries a database) on my site homepage. The initial blog links to another page that then shows the full blog (links to mysite.com/view_blog?id=(Query ID)). I now want users to be able to post comments under the full blog and on the initial page to show how many comments there are.

The idea I am currently trying is that I have created a table called 'blogcomments'. In that table the blog title that you are commenting on is added and the comment. I want the initial blog to do the following:

Query the normal blog things (title, date, writing, links...) but also count the number of comments for that particular blog title.

I so far have:

<?php
   include "config.php";

mysql_connect($server, $db_user, $db_pass) or die (mysql_error());

$result = mysql_db_query($database, "select * from $table order by id desc LIMIT 3") or die (mysql_error());
   while ($qry = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {       echo "<div id='title'>$qry[title]</div><div id='date'>$qry[date]</div><dive id='comments'>I WANT TO DISPLAY NUMBER OF COMMENTS HERE</div> "; 
   } 
?>

Idearly I would have

$count = mysql_db_query($database, "SELECT * FROM blogcomments where blogtitle = '$qry[title}'") or die (mysql_error());
                $num_rows = mysql_num_rows($count);

but this dosent work!

So my question is,

How do I query the number of comments that have the title $qry[title] baring in mind the comments are in another table.

Sorry if it is hard to understand.

I think I need to join queries or something but i havent done that before. I dont get any errors just no results! I want to query the table 'blogcomments' but use a WHERE clause. But in the WHERE clause I want to query a table called 'blog'! But overall I want it to count the rows in 'blogcomments' that have a title form 'blog'

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.