TRON Legacy

nrg_alpha

Hmm. I know very little about Tron, but that trailer in HD looked pretty cool but not something I'd go see. Though Olivia Wilde is in it, and she's pretty hot, so... Looks like you can't cross the streams in Tron-land either.

I've heard of it, I know of the light cycle, I can pick up on references to it and have seen clips from the original movie. But I have never watched the whole thing, or know what the hell it's about.

Yeah, indeed rent the original. That way, if you get digitized into a computer, you'll know what to do.

I'm surprised it took Disney this long to revive the franchise IMO.

As for that clip, keep in mind its only a visual FX test. So this by no means guarantees that that sequence will make it into the final movie (but I suppose it definitely could).

Disney made that trailer and apparently presented it at the comicon '08 (no one even knew about it till it was revealed). Disney wanted to see how the crowd would react. From what I have read, the crowd went nuts when they realised what they were watching, and apparently this overwhelming positive feedback was pretty much Disney's 'green light' to go ahead and make it into a movie. I for one will definitely see it, as the original is a classic as CV mentioned.

Those light cycles are pretty sweet.. designed by Daniel Simon. I'm curious to see what other vehicles there'll be.. Perhaps updates to the tanks and the recognizers..

Disney, hurry up already!  :P

I've heard of it, I know of the light cycle, I can pick up on references to it and have seen clips from the original movie. But I have never watched the whole thing, or know what the hell it's about.

Basic plot spoilers from the top of my head:

It starts out with something strange going on at a local computer company.  The new Master Control Program (MCP) is taking over other systems.  The evil CEO (David Warner) is in on it, but it seems as though the MCP is sentient and calling the shots.

This strange behavior alerts Bruce Boxleitner's character, and his girlfriend (Cindy Morgan), both of whom work at the company.  Once they realize what's going on, they enlist the grudging help of Jeff Bridges (grudging because he and Boxleitner's character had past conflicts, mostly over the girlfriend...yay 80's movie plots), who was a former employee at the company, but was fired for slacking off (writing/playing games) and for getting too close to figuring out the MCP's plans.

The three break into the company in the middle of the night.  Bridges attempts to stop the MCP, but during the process, the MCP digitizes him, turning Bridges into data that 'lives' inside a virtual, digital world.

This digital world is filled with other programs, which are represented as people.  The co-stars have analogues here - Warner is in charge of the MCP's evil, and growing, army.  Boxleitner is a program named Tron, which was a security program written by the real-life Boxleitner character.  And, naturally, the girlfriend is represented by another program as well.

The army's culture is taken from both the Nazis and Romans.  Innocent programs are captured and sent to prison.  Some - those that are useless to the MCP or too disobedient - are killed outright.  Others are forced to play various games for a variety of reasons.  The outcome for those that lose is always the same - death.

Bridges, Boxleitner, and another guy escape prison during the light cycle game.  They manage to escape through a crack in the wall.  The movie more or less plays out predictably from here - the party gets separated, one guy dies (the extra, 'red shirt' guy), they meet up with the resistance, and ultimately defeat the MCP, which causes Bridges to be de-digitized.  Warner is fired as CEO of the company, and I believe the three main characters live happily ever after.

The movie is very and unapologetically 1980's.  It's not a movie aimed at programmers or computer scientists in general.  While the jargon used in the film is no doubt a nod to those that actually know their stuff, it's primarily an action film.  A very glowy, neon one.

I loved it as a kid because I liked the idea of a complete virtual world living inside my computer.  That, and the special effects were cool.  It hasn't aged very well, but it boggles my mind that this was done in 1982.  I'm sure there were tricks used (there's one brief scene at the end that's obviously done in traditional animation...it makes me wonder if others were, too), but it's still impressive to me.

I can't wait for the sequel.  I'll be there opening weekend.

Okay just to add/clarify here, Box does not get digitized into Tron.  Tron is a program Box wrote to infiltrate and destroy MCP.  When Box gets digitized, him and Tron are two separate virtual entities.  Also, the "past conflicts" Box had with the CEO is that they stole his game he created.  That's why the programs are being forced to play "games"; it is part of the "game" world that Box created.

Okay just to add/clarify here, Box does not get digitized into Tron.  Tron is a program Box wrote to infiltrate and destroy MCP.  When Box gets digitized, him and Tron are two separate virtual entities.  Also, the "past conflicts" Box had with the CEO is that they stole his game he created.  That's why the programs are being forced to play "games"; it is part of the "game" world that Box created.

Box doesn't get digitized - only Bridges. :-P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.