Marking threads as solved.

Everyone above the level of a regular user can mark any topic as solved.

Any user above regular, even if you are not the owner of the thread can mark it as solved?

Yes...  If you had to be the owner of the thread, then why would Daniel0 even be explaining this?

Any user above regular, even if you are not the owner of the thread can mark it as solved?

Yes...  If you had to be the owner of the thread, then why would Daniel0 even be explaining this?

Again I tried marking one as solved in the PHP help section, the button doesn't show for me.

Thanks for the replies btw.  :)

Again I tried marking one as solved in the PHP help section, the button doesn't show for me.

Thanks for the replies btw.  :)

Again, that's because you're a regular use.  Everyone here, except 'Supporter', can mark as solved.

I thought he ment rank wise.

He does.

That wouldnt be a bad idea. Letting people who you might trust among the "regular" members with certain ranks to mark topics as solved...

Those members who are 'trusted' are already ranked (Guru, PHPFreaks Recommended, etc...)  Sorry, I don't know what else to say to help you understand.

I thought he ment rank wise.

He does.

That wouldnt be a bad idea. Letting people who you might trust among the "regular" members with certain ranks to mark topics as solved...

Those members who are 'trusted' are already ranked (Guru, PHPFreaks Recommended, etc...)  Sorry, I don't know what else to say to help you understand.

I was talking about rank wise as in just users in the Addict or higher, not gurus and recommended users. I understand what you are saying, your being quite rude calling me stupid.

Ive been staying active 12 hours in a row helping members in and out, and you think I am blind by the fact you are using quotations to prove a point but instead calling me an imbecile.

edit: I still respect this community, and I have no intentions of insulting you back.

Sir, there have been 2 separate people trying to explain this quite elaborately.  I was not calling you an imbecile or stupid, so please don't shove words in my mouth.  I simply stated that explaining the same thing over and over again would not help and there nothing else I could do.

There are two types of ranks: post count based, and member group based.

post count based ranks:

We decided a long time ago that this is 99% superficial and will not be used to measure/weigh someone's worth.  They do play a part in deciding member group based promotion, but only in an indirect way, in that the more posts someone has, the more we can evaluate/judge them to see if they are worth promoting. We will not allow regular members of higher post count to mark threads as solved, because a high post count does not mean you are qualified to do so.  Surely you see the difference between 1,000 posts where one is asking questions, vs. 1,000 posts where someone is answering questions. 

member group based ranks:

Guru, phpfreak recommended (PFR), Moderator, Admin.  You are promoted into one of these groups by being recognized by others already in these groups, and enough people deciding you should join the ranks.  Any of these member groups (also staff alumni can too (I think...)) can mark a thread as solved. 

I was talking about rank wise as in just users in the Addict or higher, not gurus and recommended users. I understand what you are saying, your being quite rude calling me stupid.

Ive been staying active 12 hours in a row helping members in and out, and you think I am blind by the fact you are using quotations to prove a point but instead calling me an imbecile.

edit: I still respect this community, and I have no intentions of insulting you back.

No he wasn't.  We often put "regular" in quotes in this context, because it can get somewhat ambiguous.  Normally a regular user would be someone who shows up and participates on a regular basis.  But on the board, it is also used as describing regular vs. staff member (staff member being anybody guru+).  I assure you, he did not put it in quotes to use it in the same way people call other people "special".

Sir, there have been 2 separate people trying to explain this quite elaborately.  I was not calling you an imbecile or stupid, so please don't shove words in my mouth.  I simply stated that explaining the same thing over and over again would not help and there nothing else I could do.

Its okay, sorry its just that ive been up all night and I shouldnt take the anger out on you. I simply understood when you guys say php freaks "staff" you are referring to gurus, recommended, admins, supports..etc And regulars as ...well us

I was thinking when he said ranks above regular such as Addicts, Freaks, ..etc can mark threads as solved. Simply it was stupid of me to think like wise...

I assure you' date=' he did not put it in quotes to use it in the same way people call other people "special". [/quote']

That certainly was not my intention.  I would not call anyone in this community anything of the sort.  I think this whole thing was just one big miscommunication and I hope all the confusion in this thread has been cleared.

Its okay, sorry its just that ive been up all night and I shouldnt take the anger out on you. I simply understood when you guys say php freaks "staff" you are referring to gurus, recommended, admins, supports..etc And regulars as ...well us

I was thinking when he said ranks above regular such as Addicts, Freaks, ..etc can mark threads as solved. Simply it was stupid of me to think like wise...

This post outlines the hierarchy on PHP Freaks. It is still accurate.

But on the board, it is also used as describing regular vs. staff member (staff member being anybody guru +).

I'm being either too pedantic, or inaccurate, but my understanding was that "Staff" was Moderator + only (Gurus and PFR (in addition to staff) belong to "team"). Either way, meh... details, details....

EDIT - Ok, Dan just provided the link.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.