visible scrollbar always

busnut

G'day, I need a bit of code so the scrollbar is always visible, even if its not needed. The reason for this is so the page doens't move over when the content goes beyond the bottom of the screen.

I've got some code, and works in most browsers, but found in IE6 and who knows what other old browsers, it displays the scrollbar twice.

this is what i've got:

body { font: 10pt Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; overflow-y: scroll; background: url('background.jpg') repeat; }

It's overflowing twice because something is pushing the containing HTML element beyond the browser's width, so the browser is adding a scroll bar for that.

Then you are telling it the body element always has a scrollbar as well.

Try taking the overflow out of your CSS above and apply it to the HTML tag instead:

/* css */
html { overflow-y: scroll; }
body { font: 10pt Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; background: url('background.jpg') repeat; }

Or fix the issue that's causing the html element to be wider than the browser.

Just educated guesses by the way.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.