php function, or smart php?

fullyscintilla

Hello everyone,

Sorry about my elusive title. I was unsure exactly what the subject would be called.

I've been trying to overhaul some of my processing code from an app that I have been working on and

while I've already come up with a solution I'm not sure if there is a better one.

Basically I am taking user input through a form and sending it to a processing page.

The processing page runs checks on the submitted data for error or proper entry.

Then Stores the the data in a session and sends the user to a final display page.

The data is then ran through some basic math calculations and displayed to the user.

On the processing page I have a main Switch method that Changes what needs to be done based on which method is being used. Heres where the coding got cumbersome.

For each case I was writing alot of repitive tasks but tasked that utlized alot of different variables.

I thought about creating a main function to handle those tasked but quickly found that My function would of had to have an outrageous number of arguments.

So I instead told php to create a new processing page to handle the data like a function but without having to pass all the variables into it.

So if your still following me.. sorry if i'm hard to understand.. i stink at explaining this.

Basically what I've got now.. is

PHP pulls in a "template" file that has all the code needed to process the data, but saved as a string to be output into a new file.

As an example of what the template php file looks like \/:

<?php
$endTag ="?>";

//Template variable to be put into fwrite() function
$template = '<?php
if($'.$Variable.' != \\'null\')
{
   $'.$Variable.'_Query =  "'.$SarrayQuery.' AND time=\'04:00\'";
}
';
echo($endTag);
?>

then after this file gets written.. I turn around and pull it into php to parse the code.

But it makes we wonder if theres not an easier/more effcient way to do this.

thanks,

fully

(Some of the code was stripped out by the board's posting functions)

i guess a better way of saying all this is i've told php to write the code for me. Then use it.

I was just wondering if anyone knew a better way to do it. Because for one, this way requires the directory to not be write protected. As its actually writting its own code to parse and creating a new file in the process.

i guess a better way of saying all this is i've told php to write the code for me. Then use it.

I was just wondering if anyone knew a better way to do it. Because for one, this way requires the directory to not be write protected. As its actually writting its own code to parse and creating a new file in the process.

Well, that seems a bit excessive. Note you can use 'eval()' to parse PHP from a string or text or file.

$message = 'Hey!'; //Dynamic element
$template = 'require("header.php"); echo '.$message.'; require("footer.php");';
eval($template);
$template = '<?php'.$template.'?>';
//write new template..
$fp = fopen('newtemplate.php', 'w');
fwrite($fp, $template);
fclose($fp);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.