MSIE 6.0 bug

selbekk

People should note, IE6 generally is unsupported, its best to tell users to upgrade their browser, rather then waste time trying to fix something which was fixed by the developers of the browser a long time ago.

I don't cater to IE6 either. However, if your client is a corporation which uses IE6... there is no way around it.

Digg recently did a survey of IE6 users to find out why they were using it. They found that the majority of people who were using it were confined to it and weren't able to upgrade for various reasons. Only 17% of IE6 users were using it because they thought they didn't feel a need to upgrade. Some comments from Digg:

This goes directly to why most folks use IE6: they don’t have a choice. Three out of four IE6 users on Digg said they can’t upgrade due to some technical or workplace reason.

3707763174_5bf03a2cdb_o.jpg

Giving them a message saying, “Hey! Upgrade!” in this case is not only pointless; it’s sadistic.

The article

It's all fine and dandy to tell your users to upgrade. If you like antagonizing your users by telling them to do something they can't do.

Anyone developing sites professionally will generally just cater to IE6, even though it's a pain in the ass. If it's a personal site, you will probably be fine if you ignore it, but you have to accept that some people will not be able to see/use your site, even if they want to.

well, I have tried a few tweaks now, but I still can't seem to:

a) center the page in IE6.0

b) get the footer border-top to connect to the content border-left.

Any ideas on either of these?

the url is: http://www.tonedietrichson.com/

If you spot any other quirks, please let me know. I am sitting on a mac osx system, and I can't afford buying a winxp licence, nor will I pirate it. I hope you could throw me a few tips.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.