INSERT and EMAIL from a form post action...

Jim R

Upon submitting my form, the User is taken to dbenter.php, where it accurately inserts information into my database and redirects my User to the next step.

The problem I'm having is I'm not sure how to send their form results from that PHP page.  I've searched the web and here, but most of what I find are people asking about sending emails to the User.  I just want the results sent to me.

Thanks.

Here is my PHP prowess.  :D

I can take what I see, make sense of it and make it really do what I want.  In calling the mail() function, I'm not sure how to make it work.  I'm heading out for now and will search later.  Is there a good place to start in seeing how it's coded?

Thanks.

most of what I find are people asking about sending emails to the User.  I just want the results sent to me.

So, if you put your email address in as the To: address in an email script, wouldn't  that mean that the email would be sent to you? The point of programing is to write (or modify existing) code to accomplish a stated task. If you found an existing script that sends an email to anyone, to change it to send an email to you, you would identify the part of the code responsible for setting up the recipient and modify it to use your email address instead.

And the light blue text in thorpe's post is a link to the php.ini documentation that describes, with examples, how to use the mail() function.

I can't get any of the variables to work in the $message variable.  The regular text prints in the email, but that is all.

<?php
// The message
$name = $_post['nameFirst'] . ' ' . $_post['nameLast'];
$school = $_post['school'];
$email = $_post['email'];

$message = "$name";
$message = "has entered the fall league.";

// In case any of our lines are larger than 70 characters, we should use wordwrap()
$message = wordwrap($message, 70);

// Send
mail('basketball@metroindybasketball.com', 'Fall League Registration', $message);

Try this:

<?php

// The message
$message =  $_POST['nameFirst'] . ' ' . $_POST['nameLast'] .'\r\n';
$message .=  $_POST['school'].'\r\n';
$message .=  $_POST['email'].'\r\n';
$message .=  $_POST['nameFirst'] . $_POST['nameLast'] ."has entered the fall league.";

// In case any of our lines are larger than 70 characters, we should use wordwrap()

// Send
mail('basketball@metroindybasketball.com', 'Fall League Registration', $message);

?>

It's carrying the values, which is good, but it's not recognizing any of the spacing.  In what you provided, it just prints the /n/r.  I changed it to <br>, and it just prints that too.

Here is what I'm using as of the moment. 

<?php
// The message
$message =  $_POST['nameFirst'] . $_POST['nameLast'] ." has entered the fall league.<br>";
$message .=  $_POST['school'] . '<br>';
$message .=  $_POST['email'];

// Send

?>

<br> wont effect email because they are (by default) plain text (as they should be). You need to specifically set certain headers to have email sent as html.

This is all covered in the link to the manual page I posted some 9 replies ago.

<br> wont effect email because they are (by default) plain text (as they should be). You need to specifically set certain headers to have email sent as html.

This is all covered in the link to the manual page I posted some 9 replies ago.

There isn't really anything that explains when to use double vs. single quotes, nor is there anything that explains <html> is set up differently.  At least that is the case in the first parts of that page.  Hard to tell what applies as the page continues, since there is a lot of other types of codes.

In section 3 of the page you linked, the part marked with <html>  looks a lot like it's set up like PHP.  It's in the $message variable between single quotes. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.