Binary Calculations

swindonshaun

Hello there folks,

This is my first time posting to such a forum, so please be gentle with me!

What I am trying to do is write a script which represents the days of the week as binary (7 bits, each representing one day).

I can do this fine. My problem comes when I want to apply the ~ (bitwise NOT operator). It turns it into a 32 bit number, but it gets the desired result at the end of the number e.g.

In: 1100000

Out: 11111111111111111111111110011110

I have been looking high and low to see if I am doing something wrong. I have cast the variables as (int).

I think I understand why it behaves like this, and thought I had come up with a solution, which involving ANDing the output to 0000..1111 (25 zeroes and 7 ones), but the result is always 0. What am I doing wrong? Is there some way of declaring a number as binary as you would with hexadecimal?

Many thanks and apologies if this is a dumb question.

Shaun

It turns it into a 32 bit number

It already was.

Is there some way of declaring a number as binary as you would with hexadecimal?

No, but you can just write it in base 8, base 10 or base 16, which PHP has a syntax for. Internally in memory any number is stored as binary regardless, so the base n expansion you use when displaying it is irrelevant.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.