PHP Files: Client Download or Server Executed

axiom82

Are PHP files downloaded by the client during execution?  One of the major issues I have with Object-oriented PHP is the framework becomes sizable fast.  You include 10 classes just for one small page to have all of the base functionalities required to make the page run...and after all of these includes you have spent a massive amount of unnecessary bandwidth...or so it seems?

This returns me back to the original question?  Does the client actually download the php class files or does the server just execute them and push the html out for download?

If there is no downloading of the php framework, then I can see how Object-oriented programming is a much better idea...that is, if it does not overload bandwidth and other factors of website performance.

Please respond.  Thanks!

The client will never download any PHP code unless you specifically force it using headers (or your server isn't config'd right.)

Everything is parsed on the server side, and then that is what the client downloads.

So then what you are saying is that I could have a 2 megabyte custom php framework built for xyz.com and as a result the client and server would not have to download this extra information which makes the framework so easy to manage from class files?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.