I HATE IE

squiblo

the table is supposed to be fixed to the bottom of the screen, and it does in FF but in IE the table is like 20px from the bottom any idea how this can be solved? or anything you think that might be worth while checking

the css

table.footersearch {
border:1px solid #999999; 
}

the html

<div style='position:fixed;left:1px;bottom:0px;width:100%;'>
<form action='http://www.squiblo.com/results.php' method='GET'>
<table width='100%' align='center' border='0' bgcolor='#E6E6E6' class='footersearch'>
<tr align='center'>
<td align='right' width='43%'>Search:</td>
<td align='left' width='47%'><input type='text' name='search'> <input type='submit' name='searchsubmit' value='Search'></td>
<td align='center' width='10%'><a href='http://www.squiblo.com' style='text-decoration:none'><font color='orange'><b>Squiblo.com</b></font></a></td>
</tr>
</table>
</form>
</div>

okay, this is my full css...

@charset "utf-8";
/* CSS Document */

body {
    color: black;
    background-color: #E6E6E6;
    font-size:12px;
    font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
margin-top: 30px;
    margin-bottom: 50px;
    margin-left: 0%; /*Here is where you change the width.*/
    margin-right: 0%;
padding:0px;
}

.title {
font-size: 50px;
}

table.header {
    background-color:white;
    border: 1px solid black; 
}

table.mainbody {
}

table.footer {
}

table.footersearch {
border:1px solid #999999; 
}

body {
    color: black;
    background-color: #E6E6E6;
    font-size:12px;
    font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
   margin-top: 30px;
    margin-bottom: 0px; /* You need to change the bottom MARGIN to 0.
    margin-left: 0%; /*Here is where you change the width.*/
    margin-right: 0%;
   padding:0px;
}

Here is advice when it comes to coding/designing a site for IE6. Don't.

That isn't stubborn, it's just intelligence. IE6 isn't really supported by most developers anymore, and is being phased out. There is no good reason people can't at least upgrade, or switch to firefox/chrome/opera/safari.

That isn't stubborn, it's just intelligence.

Not good business sense if you are in the business of developing sites.

IE6 isn't really supported by most developers anymore

Where are you getting those numbers from? Most people I know in the industry are still supporting IE6. Particularly in my country where it still has a significantly large penetration rate.

There is no good reason people can't at least upgrade, or switch to firefox/chrome/opera/safari.

That would be nice if it were true. Reading this article may give you some more insight into the matter: http://blog.digg.com/?p=878

IE6 is a pain in the butt, but there are a few things you can do to prevent problems:

1) Add display:inline to all floated images

2) Don't add any top/bottom margins or paddings to any element with a fixed height. Set the height on a wrapper, and add another div inside to which you can apply the padding/margin.

3) Don't add any left/right margins or paddings to any element with a fixed width. Set the width on a wrapper, and add another div inside to which you can apply the padding/margin.

4) Try to avoid position:fixed - it doesn't work in IE6. It can however be faked to some degree if necessary. Google can help you with this.

5) :hover states can only be applied to <a> tags in IE6, so rather than applying :hover to say, a list tag, you can set the <a> inside to be the same size as the containing list tag, and attach the :hover state to the anchor.

Doing these five things will solve most IE6 problems.

I can’t upgrade because my computer runs an old version of Windows (2000, ME, or 98). 7%

I can’t upgrade because I don’t have administrator access on my computer. 37%

I can’t upgrade because someone at work says I can’t. 33%

I don’t feel a need to upgrade. 17%

I prefer IE6 to other browsers. 7%

1) Firefox 2 works with windows 98

2) Firefox Portable doesn't require administrative access

3) That's the only good reason here, but somebody at work needs to be fired

4) Your an idiot

5) See above

Not good business sense if you are in the business of developing sites.

I suppose it depends on your target audience and what you are developing. In Canada, usage stats are lower for IE6. Also, Microsoft told users to drop IE6 (Friends don't let friends use ie6).

IE6 isn't really supported by most developers anymore

Google doesn't support IE6, nor do the new dynamic hotmail and yahoo (Google doesn't for sure, and the other two actually break somewhat in IE6). If you are making a simpler website, I suppose it wouldn't be that bad, but IE6 shouldn't be support, so that users are forced to switch.

Microsoft told user

this might help you

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
<head>
  <link href="css.css" rel="stylesheet" />
  <style type="text/css">
  html,
body {
   margin:0;
   padding:0;
   height:100%;
}
#container {
   min-height:100%;
   position:relative;
}
#header {
   background:#ff0;
   padding:10px;
}
#main {
   padding:10px;
   padding-bottom:60px;   /* Height of the footer */
}
#footer {
   position:absolute;
   bottom:0;
   width:100%;
   height:60px;   /* Height of the footer */
   background:#6cf;
}
  </style>

</head>
<body>
  <div id="container">
   <div id="header"></div>
   <div id="main">
     <p>ghjghjfgj hgj ghj</p>
   </div>
   <div id="footer">here is your footer</div></div>
</body>
</html>

1) Firefox 2 works with windows 98

2) Firefox Portable doesn't require administrative access

3) That's the only good reason here, but somebody at work needs to be fired

4) Your an idiot

5) See above

You are assuming that these users would know the above points. If they don't (and remember, a lot of the world isn't tech savvy), then they are left with a site they cannot access, without the knowledge on how to get another browser to deal with the solution.

I suppose it depends on your target audience and what you are developing. In Canada, usage stats are lower for IE6. Also, Microsoft told users to drop IE6 (Friends don't let friends use ie6).

Microsoft may say that users should upgrade, but its only a PR announcement, which most people never read or see.

But, as far as your user base you are entirely correct. If you look at your analytics and only a small number of users are accessing your site using IE6, then it's probably safe to drop support for it.

Google doesn't support IE6, nor do the new dynamic hotmail and yahoo (Google doesn't for sure, and the other two actually break somewhat in IE6). If you are making a simpler website, I suppose it wouldn't be that bad, but IE6 shouldn't be support, so that users are forced to switch.

Microsoft told user

I can access google just fine with IE6, including gmail. I can also access hotmail just fine with it. I don't use yahoo, so I cannot comment on that.

And again, 'forcing' users to switch is bad for two reasons:

1) You are assuming that they know how (if they did, they probably wouldn't be using IE6 in the first place)

2) You are making decisions for your users, rather than letting them make decisions for themselves. Basically you are putting your priorities on not wanting to spend the time to make the site work in their browser above their choice of browser. Now, depending on your site and the purpose for it, this may be entirely ok. But if it's a business, and you have enough users using IE6, then it's just bad business sense not to support these users.

Again, very valid points. Any idea how I might test my sites in IE6 using Windows 7 preferably without setting up a vm (Which I'll do if there is no other way). And users should be forced to become more tech saavy, it would make the world a much better place, but before you make up a smart reply, I know the world isn't perfect and that won't happen.

The solution to this problem? The best I've come up with is to really hate whoever wrote IE6...  :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.