$checkgenids=mysql_num_rows($genids);
while ($checkgenids > 0) {
	$genno=rand(1,50000000000000);
}
// End the check
$nameids=mysql_query("SELECT name FROM info WHERE name='$name' ");
$checknameids=mysql_num_rows($nameids);
if ($checknameids > 0) {
	die('<p><b><center><font color=red>Product name "'.$name.'" already exists!<hr></font></center></b></p>');
}
mysql_query("INSERT INTO $maintab ($nametab, $linktab, $comptab) VALUES('$name', '$link', '$comp')") or die(mysql_error());
mysql_query("INSERT into $gcodetab ($codetab) VALUES ('$finalshuffle')") or die(mysql_error());
mysql_query("UPDATE $gcodetab SET gen='$genno' WHERE gen='0'") or die(mysql_error());
mysql_query("INSERT into download (id, gen) VALUES ('$genno', '$genno')") or die(mysql_error());
mysql_query("UPDATE $maintab SET gen='$genno' WHERE gen='fill'") or die(mysql_error());
mysql_free_result();
mysql_close;

However, no matter how many times I run this code, it ALWAYS inserts the SAME number into the database. It works perfectly on localhost, but not when I upload it to my online host. I've asked them to check for any restrictions, but they showed me a test with rand function and it was working fine. Is it something in my code that is wrong? It inserts the random code into two tables in a database so I can match them up later, but one table always has the same code and the other table has a different code.

Help!

Thanks,

Dan.

Looks to me like $genno is set outside of a loop, so its set once and the number will always be more than 0 as you check here and therefore never actually changes :P

}

So you might want to put something at the end of you're code

either

$genno='';

Or doing a do{}while()

do{

// Run some security checks for duplicate ids
$genids=mysql_query("SELECT gen FROM info WHERE gen='$genno' ");
$checkgenids=mysql_num_rows($genids);
}
// End the check
$nameids=mysql_query("SELECT name FROM info WHERE name='$name' ");
$checknameids=mysql_num_rows($nameids);
if ($checknameids > 0) {
	die('<p><b><center><font color=red>Product name "'.$name.'" already exists!<hr></font></center></b></p>');
}
mysql_query("INSERT INTO $maintab ($nametab, $linktab, $comptab) VALUES('$name', '$link', '$comp')") or die(mysql_error());
mysql_query("INSERT into $gcodetab ($codetab) VALUES ('$finalshuffle')") or die(mysql_error());
mysql_query("UPDATE $gcodetab SET gen='$genno' WHERE gen='0'") or die(mysql_error());
mysql_query("INSERT into download (id, gen) VALUES ('$genno', '$genno')") or die(mysql_error());
mysql_query("UPDATE $maintab SET gen='$genno' WHERE gen='fill'") or die(mysql_error());
mysql_free_result();
}
while($genno!==$genno);
mysql_close;

That will loop that entire function as long as Genno DOESNT equal its last value :)

I havent tested this but it seemed the only option, I had a similar problem once. Many moons ago :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.