What is wrong with this?

stackumhi

Trying to make "business name" a link but it makes all 4 rows a link. I have tried moving the closing </a> around but still not working.

Thanks for any help.

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))  {		

echo "<a href='view-listing.php?contact_id= " .$row['contact_id']. "'/>"   .stripslashes($row['business_name']). "<br/>";
	echo $row['address']. "<br/>";
	echo $row['city']. ', '. $row['state']. ' '.$row['zip']."<br/>";
	echo format_phone($row['phone']);
	echo "<br/><br/>";
}

The anchor tag is not self closing:

<a href="some link" />

This is invalid HTML! Anchor tag does not close itself!

<a href="some link">Link text</a>

This is correct HTML. Anchor tag needs a closing tag.

By the way, if you're using double quotes in PHP and then concatenating your variables to them, why use double quotes at all?

Double quotes tell PHP to parse the string for PHP variables, classes, etc. If you remove all those variables and classes from the string, then you're telling PHP to parse a string that doesn't have anything to parse in it! You're wasting processing cycles parsing a string that you already know has nothing to parse because you've explicitly removed all the PHP from those strings!

Use single quotes instead, it saves processing time!

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))  {      

"<a href='view-listing.php?contact_id= " .$row['contact_id']. "'/>"   .stripslashes($row['business_name']). "</a><br/>";
      echo $row['address']. "<br/>";
      echo $row['city']. ', '. $row['state']. ' '.$row['zip']."<br/>";
      echo format_phone($row['phone']);
      echo "<br/><br/>";
   }

By the way, if you're using double quotes in PHP and then concatenating your variables to them, why use double quotes at all?

Because variables will interpolate within double quotes so you don't have to use concatenation.  This way is cleaner and faster (AFAIK).

I actually prefer this format:

echo "stripslashes({$row['business_name']})
";

Because variables will interpolate within double quotes so you don't have to use concatenation.  This way is cleaner and faster (AFAIK).

echo "<a href='view-listing.php?contact_id={$row['contact_id']}'>stripslashes({$row['business_name']})</a><br/>";

Except that he already concatenated his string as I point out in the post you quoted. Its wasting processing cycles.

echo "<a href='view-listing.php?contact_id={$row['contact_id']}'>stripslashes({$row['business_name']})</a><br/>";

that won't work .. i'm assuming you meant to:

echo "<a href='view-listing.php?contact_id={$row['contact_id']}'>".stripslashes({$row['business_name']})."</a><br/>";

";

that won't work .. i'm assuming you meant to:

echo "".stripslashes({$row['business_name']})."
";

Actually no, I just had a brain lapse and thought you could execute a PHP function in a string.  But yeah, that's the way I would have done it.

";

Except that he already concatenated his string as I point out in the post you quoted. Its wasting processing cycles.

I understand that, I wasn't disagreeing even though it seemed like it.  I was giving an alternative that he may find easier.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.