User Mode Linux in VPS

orudie

Greetings. This is my first post.

I am trying to achieve virtualization from my VPS with Debian installed. Someone told me I could achieve this with UML - user mode linux. So I found this guide and downloaded a precompiled kernel. http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/ However, i get the disk error when I try to run the command. 

Below is a copy paste from my shell.

./kernel32-2.6.31.5 ubda=Ubuntu-JauntyJackaloupe-i386-root_fs mem=1024M

Locating the bottom of the address space ... 0x10000

Locating the top of the address space ... 0xc0000000

Core dump limits :

soft - 0

hard - NONE

Checking that ptrace can change system call numbers...OK

Checking syscall emulation patch for ptrace...OK

Checking advanced syscall emulation patch for ptrace...OK

Checking for tmpfs mount on /dev/shm...OK

Checking PROT_EXEC mmap in /dev/shm/...OK

Checking for the skas3 patch in the host:

- /proc/mm...not found: No such file or directory

- PTRACE_FAULTINFO...not found

- PTRACE_LDT...not found

UML running in SKAS0 mode

Adding 18419712 bytes to physical memory to account for exec-shield gap

write: No space left on device

I checked the disk space with df -h and there is still plenty - 30 GB free. Only about 800mb is used so far.

Thanks in advance

Well if its a VPS you have, its already virtualised no doubt.

If thats the case, you may not be allowed to run your own kernel. I'd ask your VPS hosting company to be honest, or look on their wiki (if they're any good they should have one).

There are many other options to UML, such as vserver and xen and virtualbox or kvm.

See: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Virtualisation

Vserver is different and might work if you cant change the kernel. See: http://linux-vserver.org/Welcome_to_Linux-VServer.org

-steve

I have a lot of experience with virtualization, including UML.  As others have stated, in running a VPS you are already running a virtualized server.  As your host is most likely running Virtuozzo,  your guest OS, is not going to be able to be modified.  You really need your own server for doing this type of thing. 

Purely for hosting and stability, OpenVZ has turned out to be a good platform -- I am a longtime member of a coop where we share hardware and hosting costs, and run instances under OpenVZ.  For years we did this under UML, but it was far less stable than we wanted it to be.  In many ways UML is a great testing tool.

With that said, if I was going to do this on my own server, I would use either Xen or VMWare Server.  Xen in particular is used extensively (*cough* Amazon AC3 *cough*) and now come built-in to a lot of distros. 

Here's a How-to I published a while back, when I was doing Xen setups extensively.  At the company I worked for at the time (a well known telephony services company) we ran a number of servers under Xen and they were exceedingly stable and performed excellently.

http://www.gizmola.com/blog/archives/75-Xen-3.0-Fedora-Core,-RHEL,-Centos-4.x-How-to.html

Thorpe,

At least in my case I always did it with Centos/RHEL.  Other distro's may be flakier.  I also found that packages were often broken, hence the reason for my rather involved howto.  If you can do a clean install on bare metal, that's pretty much a no brainer, as you just get the iso, pop it in and follow instructions.

Yeah, even openvz seems to be tilted toward CentOS/RHEL.

At home, my host node is also my main machine so I need decent driver support. Allot of these pre-baked openvz/xen kernels are pretty slim. I usually end up rolling my own.

Though looking at apt-cache now it seems there's openvz images around that even have support for things like nvidia. Strange.

Guess I'm just used to openvz now these days, been using it a long while. I love being able to quickly install a vps to test on when I know I'm going to bork something. I usually run about 8 virtual machine at a time including one (my nameserver) that Ive had for over two years.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.