Undefined offset

jesushax

Hi all,

just wondering what this error means and how i can solve it

the full error is here

Notice: Undefined offset: 2 in E:\domains\c\domain.co.uk\user\htdocs\includes\titles.php on line 3

and heres the code from titles.php

<?php
$url = $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'];
list($root, $lvl1, $lvl2) = split('[/]', $url);
//front pages
if ($lvl1 == "about.php")
{ $title = 'Domain | About Us';}
elseif ($lvl1 == "business_directory.php")
{ $title = 'Domain | Business Directory';}  
elseif ($lvl1 == "new_directory")
{ $title = 'Domain | Business Directory';}  
elseif ($lvl1 == "business_support.php")
{ $title = 'Domain | Business Support';}  
elseif ($lvl1 == "case_studies.php")
{ $title = 'Domain | Case Studies';}  
elseif ($lvl1 == "contact.php")
{ $title = 'Domain | Contact Us';}  
elseif ($lvl1 == "email_page.php")
{ $title = 'Domain | Email Page To A Friend';}  
elseif ($lvl1 == "meet_the_buyer.php")
{ $title = 'Domain | Meet The Buyer';}  
elseif ($lvl1 == "work_vine.php")
{ $title = 'Domain | Work Vine Newsletter';} 
elseif ($lvl1 == "working_with_developers.php")
{ $title = 'Domain | Working With Developers';}  
//sub pages
elseif ($lvl1 == "links.php")
{ $title = 'Domain | Useful Links';}
elseif ($lvl1 == "news")
{ $title = 'Domain | News';}
elseif ($lvl1 == "admin")
{ $title = 'Domain | Staff';}
//default
else 
{ $title = 'Domain | Business Directory | Business Support';}  
?>

Thanks for any help

Undefined offset is (as it says) a Notice, which is a very low level error. Basically it means you are attempting to access an item in an array that doesn't exist. In your specific case I suspect that the call to split is finding less than two forward slashes. Therefore $lvl2 is attempting to assign itself to a value that doesn't exist.

I'm pretty sure the [/] should actually just be / unless your URL contains [/] which I doubt it does

for the actual URL producing the error if you want to give the URI that would be useful. Use

echo $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'];

if you want to see if it is the split thats wrong use

list($root, $lvl1, $lvl2) = split('/', $url);

What is it exactly that you're trying to do.  Apparently you're not aware of the usage of split, but you do know the usage of list?

If you're splitting on /index.php with a slash (/), then you will only get two results..  The first will be blank and the second will be index.php

As for your list() I don't see how you're going to decipher a lvl1 and lvl2 out that... What does lvl1 and 2 stand for in your script?  Perhaps your trying to get the variables AFTER index.php?  Such as

index.php?root=blah&lvl1=blah&lvl2=blah

if so... for that you would use $_GET['root'] and etcetera instead of using the $_SERVER variable

what im trying to do is get the current url and split the url into what i call lvl1 & 2

for example

domain.com/business/aboutus.php

would return

$lvl1 = business

$lvl2 = aboutus.php

then date level 1 and add the title to all the level 1 pages "domain.com | business"

so the page title indicates the users is in the business section

then on about us id have in the page title "domain.com | business | about us"

you see where im going with it?

so im stripping the url and creating a page title depending on which folder, subfolder or page the user is on

Ok. I understand.  Well instead of using REQUEST_URI try SCRIPT_URI which will give you the entire address.. domain and all.

From there you'll need to strip out the protocol first.. such as http:// or https://

THEN you can split it by slash.  If it were me though, I wouldn't use list to create my variables as you could run into more problems with adding more subdirectories later on.

What is the point of checking $lvl1, $lvl2 etc. It seems like something that could be sidestepped entirely using mod_rewrite. Before I knew much about mod_rewrite or regular expressions I used to forward every page that didn't exist to a single page, then attempt to parse the request url in a similar manner to you. Only instead of using list I simply used the array returned by explode. But since then I've realised it's alot easier to let mod_rewrite do the grunt work and pass the information back to a php through $_GET values. If that doesn't apply to you for whatever reason I would use something along the lines of.

$parts = explode('/', $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']);

Then the index of $parts as being it's index in the heirachy.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.