Squares for fonts?...pango?

Zane

[ot]I'm working on my buddies computer.. Came to the conclusion that I wouldn't be able to install my burnt version(s) of Windows onto it until they buy a DVD Drive... seeing as how my mediums are DVD-Rs  So I got bored and decided to install Ubuntu... just so I'd have some internet to use.[/ot]

The only version of Ubuntu that I have is Breezy Badger (5.10).  Kinda old I know.  So I figured I'd go through the tutorials out there and upgrade one distro at a time.. by editing the sources.list.  Because I've gotta have Firefox 3 at the least.

Anyway.. I got to Dapper just fine.  When I attempted to move to Hardy... I believe a bunch of things failed in the process.. Why? I don't know.  Nevertheless, when I rebooted.. All of the letters are squares now.  The desktop is full of them.. the entire GUI uses this square font.  If I didn't know which icon was "The Internet".. I wouldn't be typing right now.  By the way.. Firefox seems to use a different font instead of squares thank god.  I have no clue which one but it's awful..though I can at least recognize it as english.

After some googling I come across some paths to the fonts.conf file.  I tried to edit it and it says there is no write permission.  I tried to open it with the file manager(nautilus) and a multitude of errors appeared... most all saying something having to do with "pango".. which I assume is the f'd up font.

Does anyone have a clue what I could do to remedy this.  Some kind of command.  I figured I had this upgrading  business down pat until everything turned to squares... :'(

Well.. now I've done it.  I saw a suggestion somewhere out there that said perhaps if I restarted the problem would go away.  I figured that may just be it since I hadn't restarted in quite awhile...since before I restarted to find the squares.

So I restarted and now it refuses to load up the GUI.  When the Ubuntu loading screen comes up.. it says on the "list of stuff" that the "loading kernel variables" failed.  It then.. after displaying more stuff.. goes to the CLI.. I try to run startx but nothing happens.. just more errors.  I really did it this time.

How am I online now?  I'm using the Ubuntu Live CD.

Still, does anyone have a clue what may have happened.  I'm still able to get into the CLI to run commands and such, but I'm lost as far as what to do now.  I've pretty much given up... I'll stick with the Live CD unless someone has a suggestion

I'm not sure what's up woth your fonts, but you could attempt to upgrade via the command line, and hope it sorts itself out...

$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo do-release-upgrade

I'm not sure if 5.10 or 6.06 have do-release-upgrade though (haven't used them for 4/3.5 years respectively) , if not, try...

$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

A quick google led to:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/gnome-with-no-fontsonly-squares-511501/

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-907278.html

You might be much quicker to:

apt-get remove gnome

apt-get install gnome.

You could also do:

dpkg -l | grep fonts

then go apt-get remove and install.

Google hopefully will give you some more leads.

You could always go apt-get install kde and go with that and see.

-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.