email isnt getting through to some sites like hotmail.

seany123

on my website on my registration page i have this code:

$insertid = $db->Insert_ID();
                        $email=$_POST['email'];
                        $thekey=$string;
                        $user = $_POST['username'];
                        $pass = $_POST['password'];
                        $subject = 'Test Activation!';
                        $message = "Thank you for registering at Mafiakillerz, please activate your account at: http://test.com/validate.php?email=$email&string=$string 

You can login to the game after activating account at: http://www.test.com 

with the following details: 

Username: $user  
					password: $pass  

Best Regards 
				        Admin Team.";
                        $headers = "From: admin@test.com\r\nReply-To: admin@test.com";
                        mail($_POST['email'], $subject, $message, $headers);

this works perfectly with yahoo but it doesnt get through to any hotmail accounts... does anyone see a reason to why that is?

(i havn't tested anymore email providers yet.)

no i mean it isnt received by the recipient.

on yahoo it does get sent and is received in the junk box is there anything i can do about that aswell?

i now tested it with a googlemail account and the email comes through but its found in the spam box also. (anyway to change that?)

Is the actual email address for admin@test.com a real mail box hosted at the sending mail server? It it is not, that is the reason it is being discarded by hotmail/msn and being voted as spam/junk by the other ISPs or are you are putting in an @hotmail.com or @msn.com From: email address and you are not sending it from a hotmail/msn mail server, then it WILL be discarded by the receiving hotmail/msn mail server.

there are two basic reasons for this type

one is either the domain from which u are sending the mail has been blacklisted by hotmail/yahoo.

or else the email id which u are using is a default blacklisted one.

try using ur own email id...

or else try using another server to send the mail.

Is the actual email address for admin@test.com a real mail box hosted at the sending mail server? It it is not, that is the reason it is being discarded by hotmail/msn and being voted as spam/junk by the other ISPs or are you are putting in an @hotmail.com or @msn.com From: email address and you are not sending it from a hotmail/msn mail server, then it WILL be discarded by the receiving hotmail/msn mail server.

i replaced my real domain with test.com

Does anyone know of any way to contact hotmail to try and fix this?

also does anyone know how i can stop these being sent to your junk box?

First of all, You may want to add proper headers to the message for the recieving SMTP server filters to assume it's a real message:

$header .= 'MIME-Version: 1.0' . "\n";
$header .= 'Content-type: text/html; charset=UTF-8' . "\r\n";

And for the spam problem, It's almost impossible to fix on your own. If the incoming e-mail address is not too long, and has a subject. Than that is all you can do. If your site is on shared hosting (aka you do not own your own SMTP server) all it takes is one spam site on your network to blacklist it, basically never allowing it to go to inbox.

This is a standard problem basically, as many many many good sites, even big ones wind up in spam for little reason, The best practise would be to tell them to add 'admin@test.com' to their contact list.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.