Is this Legal?

Mountain Water

I want to use, $_GET['@'];

Or maybe even $_GET['!'];

I tryed these and they work fine, they look sexy the browser and unique.  Is it legal to use?

Generally, anything other than '?' and '&' are valid, but there's a chance somewhere you'll run into problems using them.. Such as when entering that into a query directly, it'd break the string.

I want to use, $_GET['@'];

Or maybe even $_GET['!'];

I tryed these and they work fine, they look sexy the browser and unique.  Is it legal to use?

Generally, anything other than '?' and '&' are valid, but there's a chance somewhere you'll run into problems using them.. Such as when entering that into a query directly, it'd break the string.

ISn't that why u just define them as a different variable?

It is legal, well it seems to work with FireFox. As for using them I would suggest against it as most web searches will look down on it. If you do not care about that I would test it in Opera / IE 7-8 / Safari and make sure it does not cause them any dismay.

But why use them? Readable names are much more preferred in my opinion.

EDIT:

If you are going to define them as a different variable, why not just use that variable name?

Yes, most bots parse the url and strip out useless characters, it may confuse search engines for example. It's really a pointless thing to add, I've already been there and it just didn't matter what it was.

site.com?foo=bar&%=baz&!=john

Messy, IMO.

I know google will not like that. But if you want to be indexed and SEO friendly why not add another keyword to be searched?

In all honesty, there is no benefit to using a special character for the GET data. There are only cons, so you might as well fix it.

They are being hard because they care. Anyone else would just say: "Yeah sure it's valid. Carry on!" Until you later find out your Google PageRank equals 0 and then you will blame them and they'll tell you "you asked if it were valid and we said yes you didn't ask if it had any implications!!"

We care therefor we tell you everything wether you like it or not.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.