Time Tracking/Account software

Ninjakreborn

I have been trying to use almost everything on the market. I have tried all time tracking software I can find. I have tried different types of account software.  So after digging around myself for months..trying multiple different things I wanted to ask the PHPFreaks community if they know of anything.

Questions: Looking for the right type of software. Timetracker/invoicing and hopefully accounting?

I was looking for a specific type of software. I wanted to find something that did three main things. Time tracking (for my projects), invoicing, and accounting (light). The two primary features I am looking for is something that would allow me to setup clients, projects, and tasks. Then those tasks (or it could be dates) could be timed. I work by the hour so I would need to be able to utilize a timer. I mean start/stop/pause. I would also like something that has invoicing built in..atleast something halfway decent. I would also like to try to find something that did quite a bit of accounting so I can track and deal with all of my finances as well..I wanted to be able to enter what bills I owe and what dates, which ones are recurring and keep track of practically all of my financial information.

Is there anything like that? The timetracking is something like they have at GetHarvest. I used it for awhile and it's a web based system that is almost what I wanted.I just wanted to find something for desktop..and hopefully something that has the accounting built in.

Quickbooks - It was almost what I wanted...except the time tracking was a bit off. If the time tracking had of been a little better. I want to be able to add Client/Projects for that client/Tasks for that project.  Then anytime I want to go to a task I want to be able to click on a task then choose start/stop/pause timer.  Then it would add on the hours. Say if I work 3 hours this morning on a specific task then stop. I go and do some things and want to come back and work more on that task. I put another 2 hours into that same task...after I am done I can move onto whatever other tasks I want. That kind of setup. It's timer software just wasn't what I needed.

Beyond that I have tried a lot...let's see. Rescue Time, Kronos, replicon, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_time_tracking_software <- Almost everything there (looking for desktop but I tried to web based one's as well).

I also tried easytimetracking, my timeforce, acti-time (web based), complete-time-tracking, dovico, ace project.

I tried many many more. Almost everything I could find on google, as well as everything I was able to find on top lists and wikipedia. I have used quite a lot that I could find. I have also found other's that were harder to find..like listed under comments under some of the top lists I found. Some of those I didn't find on google but once I saw someone mentioning them I tried them.

I have tried a lot. Just hoping maybe there was one I missed or something.

I finally found something that does everything I wanted and more. I started looking at QUicken...it was almost what I wanted for the finances..but didn't have time tracking. After some more digging I found Quickbooks. It was easier to use and worked great..not to mention it had the time tracking and invoicing and everything else..even a timer. A little rough around the edges but all in all what I needed.

Now if I could have avoided the 3 hours getting my transactions from one bank in there, then another 2 hours figuring how out to get paypal in there, and now I have to manually enter 6 years worth of transactions from the old bank I used...besides that it's great..just a lot of data entry.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I really never thought I would find the right tool and this is it.

I'm confused:

Quickbooks - It was almost what I wanted...except the time tracking was a bit off.

You said in this post http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,283334.msg1343289.html#msg1343289

And now:

After some more digging I found Quickbooks.

In this post http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,283334.msg1345268.html#msg1345268

Oh that. When I first tried quickbooks, I uninstalled it. The timetracking wasn't what I wanted. Then a friend of mine told me that it works differently than I thought. I reinstalled it and spent some time working with it and there were a lot of hidden features that were hidden. After digging around and customizing I was finally able to get it to where i wanted it.  I have been using it ever since. There are a few things I don't like about it, but for the most part it's pretty good.

ah, quote nomination.  Dunno...I mean, I did mildly lol at it.  Felt the need to IM someone about it even (before I got down to your post, even), but dunno, just not feelin' it. Bit too cliche and predictable.  I guess to be fair, some of the other ones I have are too...hmm...fuck, now I have to sit here and make an actual decision about something...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.