Help with my computer!

abra

I have a pretty new laptop. A few months ago the hard drive failed, and I had to get a new one. Since then I've noticed two problems... Mainly if I plug headphones or speakers into it, it's like the computer doesn't know they're there, and sound keeps playing through the laptop speakers. The other problem is it can no longer read DVDs... Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm hoping the sound problem is just a missing driver so I can fix it myself...

The issues you seem be having are most probably to do drivers. I'm guessing you're using Windows. To see if there any driver issues go to Device Manager and see if Windows is identifying your hardware correctly. Device manager will flag up any problems with hardware.

If the problem is with drivers and you are using Windows you can use the Signature Verification to check if you are using any unsigned drivers.

Start > Run > SigVerif

As Wildteen said, you should also look in device manager and check for compatibility issues. Look for a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark. 

Start > Run > Type 'MMC' > Hit Enter > go to 'File' in the console window > Add/Remove Snap in > Device Manager > Add > Ensure 'Local Computer' is highlighted and click ok 

• 2 weeks later...

The issues you seem be having are most probably to do drivers. I'm guessing you're using Windows. To see if there any driver issues go to Device Manager and see if Windows is identifying your hardware correctly. Device manager will flag up any problems with hardware.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I'm using Windows Vista.

It looks like everything is okay..

Go to Start >> Control Panel >> Audio >> select speakers as the output device. sometimes laptops needs to be told to output to speakers, not the built in speaker.

I'm not completely sure where to go for that. I went to CP, and then Hardware and Sound, and it says everything is working. It's showing Speakers, Headphones, and Digital Output Device.

If the problem is with drivers and you are using Windows you can use the Signature Verification to check if you are using any unsigned drivers.

I'm getting 6 results for this.. 5 are in windows\nvtmpinst folder, and the other one is called libusb0.sys in the driver folder.. Do you know what these mean?

I'm really not sure why this isn't working.. I don't understand very well how computers work...

I'm assuming nvtmpinst is for the nvidia drivers you have, in that case they it is a temporary folder for the installation of them, so I'm not sure it'd matter. Libusb0.sys is a required library for polling certain devices properly, it's usually placed by programs such as (itunes, WMP, etc..) and shouldn't matter.

Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager.‌ Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

From there you can view drivers and see any that are conflicting. What would help is what system you are using, and what audio card is in issue, if the drivers are not there then you should download them from your manufacturer's respective site!

As well as your DVD problem, a lot of DVD drives (especially for laptops) are custom enough to require a driver other than default.

Try going to device manager, find the devices you are having problems with, right click the device and go to properties, then go to the driver tab and click driver details. Minimise that window and open sigverif, then go to advanced - view log file in sigverif and look for any driver with unsigned next to it in the log file and check the filename with the problem device. If the filenames match google the name and find the manufactures website, they should have drivers available to download and probably a support section if neccessary.

When your in device manager also look for any yellow triangles with exclamation marks, if these occur in the device manager app it indicates that the recourses of the device clash with those of another, you may need to disable one of your devices and create a new hardware profile to switch to when you need to use it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.