ADSL Issue

JonnoTheDev

Just wondering if anyone has had this issue with their ADSL?

===========

I have an intermittent fault causing the DSL to lose sync. It will drop for about 60 seconds and then re-sync. Some days there will be no drop, others it could drop 10 times throughout the day. Also, incoming phonecalls will drop the DSL. I have had the router connected up to the microfilter which is connected to the BT test socket behind the NTE5 faceplate. Still no difference. My master socket is the only socket in the house. Ther are no extensions. There is no internal wiring on the NTE5 faceplate.

I have tried:

1. A second router

2. Multiple filters, including daisy-chaining 2 filters from the master socket.

3. Different RJ11 cable

4. A second NTE5 faceplate

5. Multiple telephones

None of this has made any difference. The DSL will still lose sync at random intervals. BT cannot see a line fault. My ADSL provider have passed to Cable & Wireless who are responsible for the ADSL 2+ line upgrades.

I cannot see this issue being resolved! Worried that if a BT engineer visits I will get charged £130 although I have tried everything I can think of to diagnose the fault.

http://www.bandwidthplace.com/

Record your upload/download bandwidth. Note they are in bits, so Result / 8 = KB/s. Compare them and are they roughly ~15% within what speed you purchased?

Ping your ISP's DNS server:

(BT Internet:)

208.67.222.222 - primary

and

208.67.220.220 - secondary

If the results are over 20ms (I'm from Canada and I get 16) Then it may be an issue of quality of connection. If the speed is not so much the same, such as half of what is bought then that may point to a fault on their end too (that they just may not be able to fix in that area)

Record your upload/download bandwidth. Note they are in bits, so Result / 8 = KB/s. Compare them and are they roughly ~15% within what speed you purchased?

Its nothing to do with speed, DNS, etc. It is a loss of sync through the DSL. The broadband is fast. I'm connected at a download speed of about 15293kb and upload of around 1mb. I have gone through all the attentuation levels on other forums. I think the issue must be something outside or whatever is happening through the cabling on my street or at the exchange even though BT have said that there are no line faults direct to my house.

The DSL drops with an incoming call, so that I would have thought rules my hardware out as in my OP I stated that I have tested various kit.

Sorry.

Then yeah, it may be infinite issues at this point. Are you sure the physical wiring to your house (telephone cable) is not damaged? Even one exposed (intercable) could cause the broadband to drop due to undervoltage if there is a call etc.. I don't think there's anything to help by speculation though.

Then yeah, it may be infinite issues at this point. Are you sure the physical wiring to your house (telephone cable) is not damaged? Even one exposed (intercable) could cause the broadband to drop due to undervoltage if there is a call etc.. I don't think there's anything to help by speculation though.

No, I cannot see any physical wiring. That must be way behind the NTE5 master socket.

You could try changing the router's "channel".  I had a similar problem where phone calls knocked off the connection and it was down to interference caused by the cordless phones operating on a similar frequency as the router.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wifihomenetworking/qt/wifichannel.htm

He's talking about wired ethernet, not wifi. But good advice nonetheless.

You could try changing the router's "channel".  I had a similar problem where phone calls knocked off the connection and it was down to interference caused by the cordless phones operating on a similar frequency as the router.

Yes, aware of that. I have tested both cordless & non-cordless telephone. The problem occurs also when no phone is connected to the microfilter, just the router itself. It isnt the wifi that drops, it is the DSL.

Yes, aware of that. I have tested both cordless & non-cordless telephone. The problem occurs also when no phone is connected to the microfilter, just the router itself. It isnt the wifi that drops, it is the DSL.

Did you just say you were connecting the router to the microfilter? ........ ::o

Did you just say you were connecting the router to the microfilter

Yes, thats how it should be.

BT master socket >> ADSL microfilter

>> Router

>> Telephone

Ah. I'm just confusing myself, sorry again. The BT master socket acts like a modem, right? I was assuming it was just a simple telephone jack. Here, and in the US it goes..

Phonejack -> Filter -> Phone (to filter out ethernet)

Modem -> Router -> Client

It may be that it's ~6am and I've not any sleep..

Ah. I'm just confusing myself, sorry again. The BT master socket acts like a modem, right? I was assuming it was just a simple telephone jack. Here, and in the US it goes..

What? The BT master socket is A BT master socket. i.e wher you plug your telephone into. The master socket that is in every household with a land line.

Look at the following image:

http://fastnet.co.uk/_images/content/FN-router-diagram-MS-2%203.PNG

Success! My ADSL is now stable and incoming calls no longer drop the DSL sync. Got an email from my provider saying that the ADSL supplier has 'remotely stabilised your broadband line'. However my router used to connect at around 15000kb / 900kb and now its dropped to around 11000kb / 700kb. I still get around 4-7mb download and about 0.5mb upload on speed tests. Does anyone have any idea about what the hell they could have done to sort the issue?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.